CCTV system equipment...

Anyone had any experience and or know of a supplier who has a simple CCTV system, thats to say a few indoor cameras with a half decent performance that can be recorded on site and viewed if and when required over the Internet ?..

Cheers...

Reply to
tony sayer

Screwfix are offering a system with 4 cameras at a 25% discount @ £299. S eems to do everything you want.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Any webcam or network camera and a rather good piece of software called "I Spy"

Peter Parry

PCs running software are power hngry and prone to crashing.

Avtech DVR , Eagleeyes app works well on android and apple , explorer rather than firefox for PC viewing uses an active x control. Maker of DVR dictates what viewing software stuck with.

Cat5 CCTV baluns save a fortune and considerable grief on cabling, got one cam on about 80m of cat5, power and signal, no problem. .

600 or 700 TV line cams are easily sub 50 quid items now.
Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Maplin have a cheapish dvr at £129 ATM (with one camera).

It may be better to go ip. My cameras record to my NAS and to gmail and they do 5Mpixel stills and full HD video. They were £109 each and take interchangeable lenses (c mount IIRC).

The video quality is so much better than standard that you can fit wide angle lenses and use less cameras so it may be cheaper if you have a NAS.

The cameras do the motion detect, insert the time/date, etc that the dvr does.

Reply to
dennis

Make and model?

There seems to be a big gap in IP cameras from £60 "badged chinese" to £200+ "branded". Or they come with wireless WiFi (not wanted) as well as ethernet but without PoE (both wanted).

What I don't quite follow is how these "wireless" cameras get power if truely wireless. If you have to run power to the damn thing why not just run ethernet and use PoE?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's what I do. The wireless bit was too flakey

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Without taking one down or searching for an invoice I can't tell you the brand. They are chinese the same as the branded ones. IIRC they were from here

but I have bough some plain video cameras for astronomy use and they may have been from that site.

They aren't PoE but they are a couple of years old now and PoE wasn't common then.

The power brick is stuck in a waterproof box along with the ethernet termination on the external ones. I could have extended the 12V but I didn't have the connectors at the time while I did have the boxes and some cheap mains extensions.

I wouldn't use wireless anyway as they can be a problem bandwidth wise if you have more than one HD camera.

Reply to
dennis

I've run cheap cables for 40 metres with no degradation in picture quality, but if there's the slightest ripple in the 12 volt supply that does affect the picture. A big capacitor gets rid of the ripple, or I use a car battery.

Reply to
Matty F

In fact why bother with PoE if you have to run a cable anyway run a power c able too that way you can use IR LEDs.

I've heard even the £100 wireless IP cams aren't very good at wireless IP .

Although I've been thinking about getting one for a few years having had on e I/P camera set up for about 6+ years using a Mac and evocam.

Reply to
whisky-dave

PoE as in 802.3af can supply up to a gnats fart below 13 W. 802.3at can go up to 25 W. Depends what you want to illuminate and the IR sensistivity of the camera.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , tony sayer scribeth thus

Thanks to all who replied. That security 200 site does look interesting Dennis as well as the simple screwfix package..

Shan't be using wireless, too unreliable in today's congested environs;!..

Reply to
tony sayer