Cavity wall construction

Doctor Evil wrote:

Please do a little more homework. Tesco became successful because Jack Cohen was brave enough to take on a privately schooled university educated Scot called MacLaurin. He then made him work his way through the business for a few years, before living dangerously and telling him to run it and make the decisions. MacLaurin grew Tesco into a major and forward looking chain with excellent IT facilities. He trained Leahy and then moved on to Chairman (now retired) with Leahy as Managing director. Tesco's success is based on a slow steady growth pattern, with many options tried out on a small scale and the good ones invested in. I believe that Tesco is one of the few companies who would be capable of operating in the US market, which is normally death for most incompetent British company managements. So far they have decided not to enter. If you look at their investment pattern, they will only spend a few tens of millions of pounds in opening up a new market (petty cash for them), then they will grow steadily if successful or cut their losses if necessary. Their decision taking process appears to be outstanding, as I am not aware of any major hiccups in the last 10 years. Their management succession appears to work well. Their IT system is outstanding, streets ahead of any of the US (or other UK) grocers I have experienced, in terms of knowing which specific customers buy which products and promoting those products only to those customers. I regard buying Tesco shares as the single best investment decision for continuous long term growth that we have ever made. However, I buy wines from Lidl as Tesco are too expensive for cheap plonk which probably comes from the same place! Lidl is a useful place for "oddments" I find. So they provide a level of interest to a casual shopper which Tesco now lacks. Lidl's customer base appears to be the poorer end of society, and their products are often too cheap to be desirable to me. However, their chocolate products are far superior to the other major supermarkets.

Selling Morrisons shares was a no brainer decision when they took over Safeway on borrowed money. They had no IT facility worth a light and their shops offerings were not attractive to the southern preferences. When you merge two businesses and quarter the profits, you are incompetent. The interesting decision is whether to rebuy the shares on the basis of a European takeover--Carrefour?. Pension funds have very active selling positions when shares do not look like performing.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

IME internet suppliers are normally the most expensive for any product, particularly when returns are involved!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

The have open shelves like all the rest of them.

Yes that is right.

I wouldn't at all.

You are not unique.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

a) Did IMM find some poor woman that gullible? b) If yes, is he still that brave? I'm not!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Some excellent stuff there. If you buy the £2 a bottle stuff don't get upset if you get heartburn - only use for cooking. The quality and price is by far the best for the medium priced wine - if you know what you are buying of course. They have little of the expensive stuff, although the odd few bottles are about. They always appear to have some excellent deals, like two for one £8 bottles. I also find that if they charge £5 a bottle it will be £6 to 7 in other supermarkets for similar quality.

And I know everything about wine in its entirety, being a sophisto.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Hmm. According to the report I read, the cheapest of the majors was Asda. IME Sainsbury's fruit is not actually as good or as cheap as Tesco. I see that BP have terminated their agreement with Morrisons for garage forecourt sales. There were AIUI too many non delivery problems.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

I think that we should tell your comrades about this.

Everybody is unique. Think about it.

(I'm more unique than others though :-) )

Reply to
Andy Hall

It changes and I think the most recent was Morrison's. Most sell the same of sort of stuff and quality anyway. If you go for the deals and stock up, then the normal price basket means nothing at all.

It must have dipped recently.

What so you mean?

Reply to
Doctor Evil

You can add their merchandising and buying strategy to the mix, although frankly there is little to add.

and/or arrogant. In this case both.

That would be interesting in a roundabout sort of way....

If they brought the range of product choice and merchandising that they have in France it would work pretty well here I think, although I think that LeClerc and Auchan seem a bit better from the stores I've visited. I went into a Carrefour store in Warsaw not long ago and they had imported much of the French model and a fair amount of produce there. It was doing good business as were Tesco.

.. or on companies past their sell-by date.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Leahy was educated at St Edwards College (not a snot school), Liverpool before studying at the University of Manchester (UMIST).

Not quite. MacLaurin took it from near extinction in the early 1980s to being in a position it might compete with Sainsbury's, etc. Quality at Tesco was always suspect to the others. It was a shop I always avoided and looked like it was to go under any minute. Leahy took it to the mega-giant it is now. £1 in every 10 spent on retail in the UK is in Tesco. They also have a large European section too, even in the likes of Poland. Leahy did that. That is why he was voted European Businessman of the year a few years back. He took it to a point were they are out of sight to the rest in quality, relative price and market share.

What do southerners prefer that the rest of country do not? Jellied eels? I have never noticed myself.

Their strategy is medium to long term. Merging two supermarket chains is not that easy and will not return big licks next week. The Money programme had a full spot on them.

BTW, Tesco have also expanded via acquisition. They bought up a number of smaller, small shop chains to make Tesco Express. The Tesco Express in Maida Vale takes in more than any Tesco shop per qu foot.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

You probably wouldn't.

.. or any other week until they learn how to do merchandising properly.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Actually, they've lots of corporate mottoes -

No-one tries harder for customers Treat people how we like to be treated Better for customers, simpler for staff and cheaper for Tesco

What is notable is that Tesco's customer profile is almost exactly the general profile of the UK population, yes they do sell everything to everybody.

It's not just tiering the products - which is over-simplistic; 77% of Tesco customers buy *both* Value and Finest. Tesco also tailor their store types to locations, with Express, Metro, Superstore and Extra. Most other supermarkets don't have that flexibility. Tesco have for example opened 44 convenience stores in Thailand, South Korea and Ireland, and are developing the "compact hypermarket" formula in Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Please get it right:

Lord MacLaurin was born in Blackheath, Kent on March 30th 1937 and was educated at Malvern College. After completing his National Service with RAF Fighter Command from 1956 to 1958 he worked for a short period with a firm of domestic appliance manufacturers. In 1959 he joined Tesco as a management trainee

He never went to a uni and his only degree is honourary and he is not a Jock.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Their range is the same as all others. I see no difference, just a smarter shop and well dressed, polite staff, and I never saw a jellied eel.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

A couple of years ago Safeway got Tesco to run their home grocery shopping trial for them (Tesco being world leaders in home grocery shopping). I don't know if they still are.

I feel that Tesco are not being adventurous enough in sourcing. Lidl get a lot of their stuff from Eastern Europe, where Tesco is very strong on sales development.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've always found Lidl checkouts to be quite quick and the single queue "wait to be called forward" system (like they have in post offices now, a display that shouts "Please go to position 6") does mean you don't get stuck behind a slow person.

Lidl had what looks like a very good wheel-along toolbox trolley for £30, to bring them slightly back on topic, and I was almost tempted by a Winnie the Pooh alarm clock for 1.99 (includes battery, 3 year guarantee).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It may be where you live. If so, the other stores must have put a pretty poor selection of stuff on their shelves.

I've seen the opposite. The reasonably decent Safeway staff have left and where they have been replaced, there is not an improvement.

They don't even do what they say they can do. They circulated a leaflet saying that their butchery department (which in practice is a meat dispensing counter) would be willing and able to obtain any cut or preparation of meat to order within a day as long as it was seasonally available.

I asked them for a joint prepared for a crown roast. They couldn't do it and made some excuse about it being out of season. Crap. All the other supermarkets plus the local butcher had fresh versions. This is not difficult.

I seldom go there any more, as it appears is the case with a large number of people in the area .....

Reply to
Andy Hall

with fiberglass batts in between for warmth...

..tied together occasionally with ties...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not if he is paid on a per brick laid basis.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nope. All have the full range.

The Safeway staff had cheap looking frumpy tracksuit tops, which made them look like Chavs. Now the Morrison's staff have smart crisp shirts and blouses and are much more polite.

Because you think the shelves are full pies, that is what you said.

Reply to
Doctor Evil