Cats & RBG's.

Following the success of the home made RBG's I'm now looking to build the Rubber Band Sniper Rifle to deter the pesky cats that keep crapping on my gravel drive.

The question; would I be better off using a long thin band that stretches a lot, or a shorter but thicker band? Its all about stored energy I reckon.

I need range & hitting power so my first thoughts are that it will be a compromise?

Any ideas?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Get yerself a 12 bore ;o)

Reply to
andy

How about one of these

is totally environmentally safe, and it's easy to reload!

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

As a frequent reader of your posts I am somewhat surprised you have not gone straight for an angle grinder solution to your feline fans. For example a small angle grinder with a lightweight extension lead gaffer taped to a beefy remote control toy?

(You're on your own though if you try for a tax deduction - although I'm sure you could find some use for it under one of your decking jobs.)

Reply to
neverwas

I woudn't they fight back.

George

That might attract rather more attention than is desirable.

Given that Dave is going to have to sit there with a RBG I supect he would be better off with a Super Soaker. Cats really do not like getting wet, it messes up the fur and they have to spend ages drying themselves off. A quick flick from even a hefty RB isn't going to have quite the same lasting effect.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave obviously needs a VBFH then - a very big fire hose ...

;-)

Reply to
Adrian C

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman" saying something like:

I don't see the problem - scale up and go with a bigger heftier band. It's a choice that's been taxing artillerymen for centuries - high velocity with smaller load (anti-tank) or lower velocity and high mass with demolition power (walls). I don't think you're going to get into AP shots with anti-cat RBGs and DU is right out, so you'll just have to stick with the older options.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Go with a water pistol, or better still garden hose. It'll be far more effective at keeping them away. I speak from experience of being a cat person and keeping a visiting and very aggressive and anti-social tom away. He only has to see me walking in the direction of the garden hose and he's gone.

Reply to
The Wanderer

No real difference. Compare the longbow and the crossbow.

Accuracy is more important, and you may find the crossbow works better.

But I prefer blowpipes and ball bearings.

But you might as well buy an air rifle then or a BB gun.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Experience say that range is the problem - if you can really get close enough to the cat then obviously the water pistol/gun is the answer on the grounds of portability but having tried one of these 'modern' water pistols against the neighbour's dog, all I can say in their favour is that yes they are better than the water pistols we used as kids but no they aren't really effective for animal scaring. But the hose is if you have good water pressure.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

There was an item on the news tonight that said 9 cats had died in the area because of antifreeze poisoning so it sounds like a need to drain the car and fill the gun with the antifreeze.

Reply to
dennis

You need a cat.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

What you need, sir, is one of these;

know you want to.

Reply to
Onetap

Hi Group,

There has been a lot of fuss locally someone was putting saucers of anti-freeze for the cats. They then died in agony and there is nothing the vet can do to save the cat. This is a newspaper story so I do not know for sure if it is true or not.

Robbie>

Reply to
Roberts

How about stopping with the cruelty? A water spray is perfectly effective.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

You really are a deranged evil scumbag.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

And that's the problem with all of this; the cat is now frightened of you, not of coming into the garden.

Reply to
Huge

Huge

message

It is true. And no doubt some sicko will copy it.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth