Cat Repulsion

...... Tres amusant.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've yet to find an effective cat detterent. Any chemical based product will wash away quickly in the rain. Any method that relies on training the animal will only be a temporary fix since you will have to train all the new cats in the neighbourhood.

Water spray/shotguns etc. usually rely on you catching them in the act.

A toy snake did not work for us. I found a great pile of cat sh*t right next to it!

I like the look of this

I haven't tried it.

I think the government should bring in a cat license. That might discourage people from keeping these disgusting animals. ;-)

Reply to
Mark

Don't bother buying one of your own. Just catch one in your garden.

Reply to
Mark

And children.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Below is all manner of cables, along with a spare monitor. No sign of a wiki message, though. :-(

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Thanks for the replies. Think we'll give the ultrasonics a miss.

Don't think anyone suggested oranges (or peel) - which I noticed somewhere. Appreciated that this is just a 'chemical' answer - but does it work? We do regularly have some to dispose of.

Reply to
Rod

Depends how accurate your aim is :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Get one of those giant super soaker water pistols and give them a good scoosh when they come near your garden.

It will take a few goes but they will soon get the message

Reply to
vbleau

Wella the must bé good. I suppose the cats turne up in a Transit witz a hacker, and Sharp Sand.

It's block paved.

Reply to
MikeS

Damn my spell checker. One of the Kids have changed the language or summat. Meant to say..............................

Well they must be good. I suppose the cats turn up in a Transit with a whacker and sharp sand.

It's block paved.

Reply to
MikeS

Funnier the first time. :-)

Reply to
Rod

If you have fencing, fit the cheapest and nastiest (aka flimsy)=20 trellis you can find - the expanding stuff is ideal (it's what I use)=20 and do it so that it sticks up 10-12" over the top of the fence,=20 screwed onto your side of the panel.

Not only will they find it awkward to get over, but they'll have=20 trouble standing on the top of the fence due to the reduced available=20 width.

Bad ascii art follows :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I did it a couple of times directly over the straying cat. It doesn't visit any more. Only ones who come in garden are next doors but they don't leave any visible mess or smells,they do catch the odd rat from under the shed so I I'll tolerate them. Our own lived out there in his own hutch and kept others away till he got too old. Buried him in the garden on Sunday ,sad but 22 years for a cat is a good innings.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Thus spake ARWadsworth ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

Give us your address, then, and we'll come and put all our unwanted cat poo in your garden. It's only natural after all.

Reply to
A.Clews

We are trying but I suspect you are not taking any notice and have not got rid of the cat yet.

Reply to
dennis

Back when I did work for the police, a traffic cop observed that if the motorway signs were set to show "Pedestrians in Road - SLOW" not one car would slow down. Even though a collision with a pedestrian would probably result in at least one death, write off the car, leave the driver facing criminal prosecution.

However show "Animals in Road - SLOW" and the traffic slows to 20mph.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You can find fanaticals and/or OCD in just about every field you care to think of, and many you'd never think of.

A consultant friend I knew for some years had a colleague who was affected by the animal rights extremists many years ago. So he started asking his patients if they had objections to having treatments tested on animals. He had a number who said they did, but when they discovered there was thus no treatment available for their condition, they all changed their minds. He was not at all surprised in cases of chronic illnesses, but what did surprise him was that also applied to all the really trivial cases he saw -- the sort of thing most people don't even bother to get treated for. Last time I saw him (which is now rather a long time ago), he hadn't had anyone who actually said no to treatment on the basis of their (perhaps former) animal rights beliefs.

Pedestrians (or more likely "Workforce") are unlikely to deliberately run in front of you, having some concept of the danger of a motorway. Animals are likely to run in front of you. I don't find the observation at all surprising.

The big problem with many of these signs is lack of credibility due to driver's past experience of inaccuracy. Signage which is capable of up to the second accuracy could be tremendously powerful if used correctly, but it isn't. I think I would go so far as to say that mostly, the warning messages I see on those signs are wrong (mostly because they don't apply "now"), and that completely destroys their potential effectiveness.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sadly true. I have seen so many false alarms that I treat M25 warnings as be extra vigilant and keep back from anything that obscures your view.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Lion Shit - it's scares the hell outta them. Apparently it is available to buy in pelletted form, try google, and of course it's a natural product. Never smelled it myself, so of course it might keep anything else away from your garden as well - including you! David

Reply to
DavidM

Steve Firth