Cars without spare wheels

Caravan owners won't be stupid enough to have an EV.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I have been misinformed ron...sorry

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

it's quality that matters not quantity...

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj ...

Yours has neither.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I wouldn't be so sure ...

Andrew

Funny.

That's a static van. (On the move of course, but once it gets to where it's going it's permanently sited).

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Not only that, but many EVs make no provision whatsoever for towing - so you can't legally fit a towbar.

Reply to
Roger Mills

What happens when that's all there is?

Reply to
Roger Mills

That certainly was the was. Increasingly more new EVs are rated for towing now. Mine can’t tow. Its newer replacement two years down the line can.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That will never be the case.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It was an optional extra on my Skoda Enyaq.

Reply to
charles

your f***ed

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

That's a static van aka a house destined for the trailer trash camp.

Reply to
alan_m

Isn't there also a limit of the combined curb weight of the car plus van requiring a different driving licence? For many the tow hook may only allow for a small trailer :) EVs tend to be heavier than ICE vehicles.

Reply to
alan_m

Depends on how long ago you passed your test, I would imagine most of us here qualify up to 7.5 tonne vehicles, with combined vehicle+trailer up to 12 tonne?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I had a feeling it was only 3.5 tonnes.but I could be wrong

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

B gives you vehicles up to 3,500kg with trailer up to 750kg

B+E gives you vehicles up to 3,500kg with trailer over 750kg

C1+E gives you vehicles between 3,500kg and 7,500kg with a trailer weighing more than

750kg and combined weight of vehicle and trailer up to 12,000kg

the B+E and C1+E can come from grandfather rights, or separate tests if you missed the cutoff date.

Reply to
Andy Burns

BMW iX60 EV tows a 1.6 tonne 'van but it halves the range.

Also exposes a slight 'issue' with EV charging points if you are towing something, i.e. it's tricky

Andrew

If you renew your licence at 70 online then you lose C1 (if you had it), but provided you have a biometric passport then it it only takes a few days.

You have to re-apply by post to keep C1 and provide some evidence of eyesight and other fitness to drive, and this takes ages.

Reply to
Andrew

The new 2021 rules are here

or

You can tow a trailer up to 3.5tonnes (which includes it's load) assuming that the loaded car+trailer doesn't exceed the car's gross train weight (GTW).

It appears that the weight was reduced for people who got their licence after 1997 unless they took a car and trailer test. These test have now been stopped possibly because of all the problems during covid and for those with a licence after 1997/2013 "DVLA will update your driving licence record to show that you’re allowed to tow trailers."

A Skoda Enyaq may just be allowed to tow a small empty caravan but add a few adult passengers and luggage plus some consumables in the van......

The manufacturer claims a real range estimation of between 185 and 240 miles for "highway" driving (weather/ambient temperature dependant) From what I seen recently add a caravan and reduce the range by at least 50% so the range is more like 100 miles so probably at lot less than every 100 miles you would need to find somewhere for a near full recharge. The manufacturer claims an equivalent 1 hour for a 0 to 100% full charge and around 8 hours for slow charge (33 minutes for a fast charge but they are assuming it's only for less than 2/3rds range).

Reply to
alan_m