Carpet Wisdom - advice

"Castor cups"

Reply to
Jimk

My lounge carpet has stood up very well to normal wear but the castors of the suite has really dented it (irrecoverable). I suspect the soft underlay has allowed the carpet backing to locally stretch or fail into a dent caused by the underlay foam sort of failing.

I guess the solution when it is time to replace is to use the firmest underlay available.

In other rooms we used the green and black rubber crumb (Duralay) stuff.

Any observations?

Reply to
John

Castor cups spread the load a little, but still leave indentations IME

My late wife always said if you wet the indentation, then scuff the pile back up with your fingernails or whatever, it will recover. It may need to be repeated several times and isn't 100% effective, but works to some extent.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Steam mop does wonders and saves on finger tips.

You can use a steam iron but you need a cloth between it and the carpet or you can melt some man-made fibres.

Reply to
mm0fmf

It is more than a flat pile. The underlay has been permanantly crushed.

Reply to
John

The classic is to use an ice cube in the impression.

However, that is clearly not an answer here.

Maybe get furniture which has large gliding surfaces rather than castors?

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I've never found any answer to this. The huge forces on a small are will always result in deformation in time. If you want carpet to be soft and well, carpet like you need to spread the load on it somehow. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Not much good since they are lot strong or big enough. You really need something really big and solid to spread the load and often this can be a trip hazard. I guess you could always suspend furniture from ropes attached to the ceiling. Some people pay a small fortune for love swings. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Or spiked castor cups that transfer the load to the floor without subjecting the carpet/underlay to the full load.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

Mrs P sometimes moves the furniture to accomodate her coven / WI Committee.

Reply to
John

can she levitate it to avoid tearing the carpet?

There's no arguing with one of them is there.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog