Carpet - dents

My lounge carpet is suffering from dents where castors of the settees have been.

I am wondering about the cause as it didn't happen with the previous carpet.

Could it be:

  1. Soft (luxury) underlay allowing the carpet to sink into it too readily - causing the carpet backing to stretch / fail.

  1. Carpet backing not strong enough.

Reply to
John

I would have thought 1 - too soft underlay.

Try putting an ice cube in the dent. Just leave it there to melt and, eventually, dry out. Can be amazingly effective - though no guarantees.

Reply to
Rod

I've heard of this and will give it a go - however it is much more than just a flattening of the pile.

Reply to
John

Depends very much on the construction of the carpet. Any idea what the pile is? Wool, 80/20, acrilic?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sorry - not sure - a "berber" like appearance. Certainly not wool.

Reply to
John

I use the narrow nossle (crevice tool) on the vacuum cleaner to give it a good rub and in doing so, suck the pile back upright. If the backing or underlay has collapsed, it's not going to fix that though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have tried the technique - I believe your description is correct.

Reply to
John