Carpet question for friend

She got some nice wool carpet laid last week...turns out that in addition to some shoddy work, they put down the cheap underlay instead of the good stuff. So they're coming next week to re-do the job.

Couple quick questions:

The original fitters didn't use the knee kick thing. Should they have? Should all fitters use them?

The carpet was for stairs. The straight lines were great, but the 3 curved steps look like crap. I was told (being a woman and having an accent) that the distance in the middle of the step to the nose is different from the distance from the riser to the nose in the corner, and that's why he had to tack (with tacks) the corners. Um...shouldn't an experienced fitter not need tacks?

And my friend wants the carpet to be tacked/tack strips under the nose of the step...very very fitted. Is that normal? Possible? Without tacks? Cause we can see all the heads of the tacks.

As well, we can lift up carpet on the edges of the stairs, and it bubbles in other places as well. He folded over the edges and tucked it. Bad job?

I guess I just want some backing from people who know what the deal is so that if we stand up and say "No, that's not how it's done", they might actually listen.

(as well, the wankers didn't even clean up after themselves...I had to bag all the scraps).

Elana Kehoe

Don't know about the carpet stuff - but any tradesman/woman that doesn't tidy up after him/herself is a cowboy in my books!

Ric.

Reply to
Ric

He was a contractor that the carpet place hires. As he was saying bye, I said "What about the scraps?" "Oh no...we don't take it...". It was

12:45p argh.
Reply to
Elana Kehoe

Just after midday, why is that a particular problem?

Reply to
usenet

Cause they didn't want to be late for their 1p lunch.

Reply to
Elana Kehoe

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:20:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@zen.org (Elana Kehoe) strung together this:

Bloody hell that's cheap, which caff was he going to?

Reply to
Lurch

So what underlay ws the contract for? It's no good blaming them if there was no specific underlay.

On stairs? How?

They should not need tacks with carpet grippers. With carpet grippers the angle of the tread is immaterial.

Bloody bad job. Get the firm to either give you your money back or offer to let them refit the stairs and replace all the carpet used on the winding treads. And insist they send one of the indians this time.

Poor thing. All for the sake of friendship eh?

Still with 2 bins between you no real harm done.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

There was a contract for the good stuff.

There are a couple landings on the stairs, as well as the upstairs hallway.. Shouldn't they have used kickers there?

Okay, that's what I needed.

They're coming tomorrow morn to refit it, with different fitters. Not only cause it was a bad job, but mainly cause the underlay was not what was contracted.

Hehehe...i wanted my friend to come home to a nice looking house. Of course, I shouldn't have bagged them, cause I have a bad back...

Elana Kehoe

theyre not needed for the majority of carpets. Dont know if it is for yours or not.

completely illogical.

could use rods or glue. Though you could tack, it wouldnt lie flat and wouldnt look good IMHO, unless you used a huge number of upholsterers tacks.

bubbles sitting there or just you can pull up? You will be able to lift it but it should sit flat.

lasts a bit longer that way but doesnt give a decent looking fitting, so not recommended.

Thre are many ways you can lay a carpet. Unless you specified how it would be done, then its all a matter of opinion.

what was specified? Poeple too often sign up for things without even knowing what theyre getting.

BTW wool is not an ideal pile wear wise. Best pile is a mix of wool and synthetic - which might be what she has.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

If it's a 'conventional' woven backed carpet - ie pretty well all decent quality types, then IMHO they do need stretching.

Types with built in underlay probably not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)