Car Windcreen

I know this is likely the oldest of Chestnuts. But with Chemistry advancing on all the time, has their been recently any developments with someone producing a good screen wash?
I thought i had brought a good one, but it just leaves smears and some kind of film when it dries, however strong i mix it.
I know the Chauffeurs years ago only ever washed and dried their windscreen with water. But is that still the best way?
I've found using kitchen 'Cleaning Cream' (like Jif) gets rid of London grease the best I know of, but is this likely causing issues with the screen wash, even though i rinse it off very thoroughly ? Thanks for any advice, on screen wash and methods.
On Monday, 9 July 2018 12:23:05 UTC+1, john west wrote:

mixing it too strong may be the problem. The other possible problem is something it can't dissolve fully - you can get chemicals for that or use paraffin & paper towel.
NT

+1.
One of the traditional ways was to use newspaper, first damp and then dry. The traditional inks helped to shift the greasy urban deposits. The final polish left a slightly hydrophobic film which helped to disperse rainwater. But I don't think modern inks are as effective.
On 09/07/18 12:23, john west wrote:

I use Sonax 100:1 screenwash in summer (because the bottle is tiny, the water is in the tap and it seems to be a very effective cleaner (as good as any other).
In winter I usually keep using the Sonax, but adding it to the cheapest antifreeze screenwash I can buy.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

What happened to the concentrated screenwash that Lidl, and once Aldi used to sell? It came in containers like the Sonax, worked well and was much cheaper.
Now they only seem to do the ready diluted stuff in 5 litre containers. I have a bad back.
Last night I used what might have been Windolene in an old squirter that I found in the garage. Did a long trip this morning and didn't notice the screens or mirrors at all. Unlike yesterday before the clean.
--
Bill

On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 14:18:51 +0100, Bill wrote:

I buy 5 litre containers of concentrate from the local motor parts place.
I wouldn't personally touch Amazon, but as an example:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 12:23:02 +0100, john west wrote:

What's on the screen? Mashed fly is awful, smears like billyo. Repeated washes can shift it, apart from the impact marks.Impact marks really only shift in a steady rain with the wipers on all the time. Otherwise manually remove them with a *non* *scratch* washing up sponge and water.
Just "traffic film" isn't normally too much of a hassle.
Condition of wiper blades is critical. If they don't wipe well after cleaning and if a black residue is left on the cleaning cloth/sponge it's probably worth changing them.
Do you wash the car? If so do you use a car wash with a "wax" option? The last thing you want on the screen is any form of wax or polish... Same applies to additives to a pressure washer and home washing.
Washer fluid, I use "Prestone Extreme Visibilty Concentrate" blue stuff, diluted 1:4 all year. Prestone have buggered about with their product names and maybe product, I think the above is now yellow and called "Extreme Performance ScreenWash", still a concentrate rather than "ready to use" and protects down to -23 C
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 09/07/18 13:16, Dave Liquorice wrote:

While I use a 'non-scratch' sponge on windscreens etc, I've seen people recommend very fine steel wool. I've never tried it on a windscreen, I bottled it to be honest, but I did try it on a bit of stray glass (from a scrap Scanner bed). I couldn't see an visible scratches / hazing etc after a good rub with some soapy water.
Using steel wool with soapy water is part of several 'super windscreen clean' regimes I've seen in various places- used prior to apply some special coating - I think 'Windex' or similar, supposedly it helps keep the windscreen clean (I've not tried it). I am, however, curious re such coatings as our motorhome lives outside and the windscreen is a pain in the b*m to clean.
On 09/07/2018 15:07, Brian Reay wrote:

When we used a campervan, I used to get up early each day and clean the glass with hot water, a drop of fairy and newspaper, after two or three days the glass was like new again. Repeat each holiday.
On 09/07/18 15:11, MrCheerful wrote:

The problem is reaching it, it is a Ducato.
On 09/07/2018 15:17, Brian Reay wrote:

door open, stand inside and lean around, or park nose up to a short wall and stand on that.
On 09/07/2018 15:19, MrCheerful wrote:

You must have long arms ;-)
The wall idea is a possibility. Our drive has quite a slope so I can't use a step ladder.
On 09/07/2018 15:42, Brian Reay wrote:

Microfibre Mop
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1Y_YBd22H8KJjy0Fcq6yDlFXaf.jpg
I use one to clean floor to ceiling tiles in my bathroom where the ceiling is around 9.5' high.
Cheap mops start at around £4 and replacement microfibre cloths to fit are available fairly cheaply on Ebay.
You can use the mop saturated with water/cleaner and then after saturate it with just water to rinse off.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 09/07/2018 15:07, Brian Reay wrote:

eek. Jewellers rouge might be a better idea.

Quite. A friend owned a car that had been imported from Kuwait and apart from the fact that it had no anti-corrosion treatment and fell to pieces with incredible speed in the UK, the glass had all been "sand blasted". It was an "interesting" drive at night, since it was like driving round in a 360 degree "starburst" filter.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 45th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184
~ Stercus accidit ~

Are you certain your wiper blades are good? All screen cleaners will leave residue on the parts the wipers move the muck to.
My favourite screen wash is genuine BMW stuff. Mainly because of the smell. ;-)
--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Dave Plowman wrote:

Mine is VW/Audi/Seat because it's not smeary (and also because it doesn't smell vile like some do).
Ultrafine wire wool soaked in meths is good for shifting stubborn flies etc.

Used by people with BMW Driving Gloves.

It might help if in a rush. But I'd rather use a solvent than abrasive.
--
*Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"

On 09/07/2018 15:28, Andy Burns wrote:

get window wet and soapy then carefully scrape with a new razor blade (the double sided version, so that it can follow the contours of the glass). Hold at an angle of about 45 degrees.