Silicon on car windows

I have taken to using a silicon glass coating product marketed specifically for the purpose of putting on car windscreens.

I put this on the car windscreen regularly once in a while.

What i like about it is that all the dirt and mess that settles on the windscreen after some days easily washes off with just a quick rinse of water. (i use boiled water for this as we live in a hard water area which can leave chalk marks when it dries).

This silicon product ( Ra inX) comes in quite small bottles). Is there another form of silicon that would work out cheaper that i could use? I remember the old drivers adage: never clean the car windows with anything other than water.

I was thinking using a common type silicon car paint polish. But would this be likely to leave some sort of residue on a glass windscreen?

The reason for looking for a cheaper product and to consider using normal car polish was that: if i found one i would do the house windows as well, which would use up a large amount.

Reply to
john west

As you've probably discovered, once you start using RainX, you have to keep using it, at least until the time you next change your wiper blades, as a residual amount of it gives a streaky windscreen

Reply to
Andy Burns

This product used to be used on would you believe, Hovercraft pilots windows. I remember the name and of course those which went over the sea constantly needed cleaning due to the build up of salt. I never saw such fast wipers as they used to use! I'd have thought it might be available in industrial quantities though,quite how much you would need to buy to get a reduction, I have no idea!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Ships bridges often have rotating inserts in their windows, which throw the water off, rather than wiping it away.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Kent screens:

Interestingly a couple of TV programmes about HMS Duncan and Northumberland showed quite slow side to side wipers.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

That's it. I once borrowed a motorcycle helmet with a visor that worked on the same principle, except that it was operated by the airstream, via vanes on the side. The faster you went, the faster it spun. It was remarkable effective.

Isn't ramming other ships a navy tradition?

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Left hand down a bit :-)

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Oh what a lark!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Is that a euphemism?

George Melly had his own way of putting it.

Reply to
JNugent

No, literally. British and other warships were still fitted with rams right up to end of the 19th century, although the Royal Navy only managed to sink one of their own battleships, following a collision during manoeuvres, and a passenger liner, which collided with the ram bow of an anchored warship. Ramming was, however, used to attack surfaced submarines in both world wars.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I once saw motorcycle helmet visors that worked the same way, driven by wind speed.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Silicon, or silicone?

Reply to
Bob Eager

If you ever see my new van I'll show you the massive amount of silicone that some arse used to try to stick a dashcam to the windscreen.

Reply to
ARW

Its silicone in fact but a brand name changes it a little. After my remark about Hovercraft windows, I immediately thought of. My Hovercraft is full of eels. for some odd reason. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa