Car roof boxes or bags?

Looking for something to stash bags of clothes and other bulky but lightweight and non-precious stuff on the car roof when travelling with family. (Big sheet of polythene and tie-downs works but always seems to involve me struggling in wind and freezing rain putting it on!)

There seem to be decent-size (>400l) boxes at around 100 notes, or bags from about half that. I suspect that the bags are never going to withstand driving rain, and wonder how long the zips last, but not sure whether the boxes will just fall apart either.

What experience do folks here have of such things?

Reply to
John Stumbles

Got a rooftop box on my drive that I've used a couple of times on the car - came with a 2nd hand car and outlived the car. Seems to withstand the elements O.K. and be long lived. Also looks streamlined.

I think the profile is probably the issue, and that the drag is less from a pointy fibreglass thing than from a bag.

Whereabouts are you, John?

Could provide said box for a lot less than 100 notes :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

But I suspect you actually want the pointy end facing backwards, teardrop- style, for less drag! (Who remembers the French and Saunders sketch of the two middle-aged women cyclists wearing Olympic-style teardrop helmets, one pointed-end forward, other backward?!)

Reading: email address works.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Looking for something to stash bags of clothes and other bulky but

Do you mean this sort of thing?

Muddymike

I have a Thule bag and it works very well on the odd occasion I needed it (holiday in Belgium for one).

Waterproof, spacious and rolls up (unlike abox).

Not quite as convenient and you really do have to unmount it when empty - but unless you need a box all of the time or storage is no problem, I would go with the bag.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Felixstowe, Suffolk, unfortunately. And not likely to be over in your neck of the woods for some considerable time. My gmail address can be deduced from my posting name (two '.'s)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Dots aren't significant in gmail addresses, you can remove them, or add more of them at will, the message will still arrive.

Also if your address left of the @gmail.com is in the format first.last you can also be reached as last.first, this work for first.middle.last as last.middle.first though.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , John Stumbles writes

We've had a roofbox for a number of years and it must have done 1000's of miles by now. Doesn't seem to produce any extra wind noise. Pretty quick and easy to fit to the roof. Easy to load. Not always 100% waterproof. In certain circumstances, in heavy rain, a little bit of rain can work it's way in around the front. But assuming anything in their is packed in some sort of bag this isn't a problem.

It's not showing any signs of falling apart, nor are any of the ones friends have AFAIK, though mine was more like around 200 notes, but the important bits seems fine on the cheaper ones I have seen.

We use ours quite a bit, and it often stays on the roof with stuff infor soemtime, so bag wouldn't suit as so well. And we have space to store it.

I can see a bag being useful for those with limited storage space.

Reply to
chris French

The trouble with roof boxes is the weight limit on roof racks. Typically a car is limited to 100kg. Subtract the roof bars and the box and you are down to about 70kg of load. There isn't much other than clothes, sleeping bags, etc. that will then fit into that load space without overloading or leaving it empty. Of course the clothes, etc. can be put into vacuum bags and compressed down so they fit elsewhere. I would try some vacuum bags and a 12v inflator/deflator before buying a box as you probably don't need one, saving ~£200 and a lot of fuel. The big drawback with vacuum bags is the weight of your suitcases can triple or more with all the extra stuff you can put in. Make sure you weigh them before getting to an airport.

Reply to
dennis