Car battery

How does it generate high current AC from the battery?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Bosch silver on a previous car - a BMW E39 - did 11 years. It replaced the BMW badged one which failed just outside the car warranty at three years.

That BMW was one of the fastest starting cars I've ever had - it seemed to fire after going over the first compression even when cold. Which could have made it kinder to batteries.

I bought the car at two years old. Could be the original battery had been allowed to go flat in the showroom. It looked identical to the Bosch, apart from the badge.

Current car takes a bit of churning.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depending on the number of cylinders and firing order. It will usually come to rest where a compression stroke stops it.

With a pre-engage starter, the wear pattern is much less pronounced.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

t Fuel injection cars usually start a lot easier then carburetor.

Reply to
harry

Modern? First one I saw was on a 50s car.

Big improvement is the permanent magnet starters with reduction gearbox. Much more efficient.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Happened to me once a few year ago, Bank holiday Friday evening just as about o go home. I sat in the office waiting for AA not knowing the reason why alarm and central locking appeared to have gone insane. Cleaner came in after a couple of hours, instantly diagnosed the problem got her jump leads out and sorted it. Took great delight in phoning back to the AA telling them not to bother as the cleaner had fixed it. The silence at the other end of the phone was palpable. I would have asked her to marry me but her hubbie was ex marines.

Reply to
bert

===

Who knows? Ask him? ;p

Reply to
Ophelia

No, you missed the attributions; Ophelia was just lolling - a one liner.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Neither do I, but it is clear that he was replying to bert's post under the mistaken impression that you had written it.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Do they generate a high current AC source to drive the alternator...?

Reply to
John

And now they've issued a recall to replace the starternator itself, apparently water gets in and can cause overheating or fire ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Which make/model ?

Reply to
Andrew

Heated rear screens !. Better fuel consumption (apart from Yank Tanks), Better brakes (apart from Yank tanks) ...

Reply to
Andrew

IIRC it was Porsche who had this system first. We had a Polo nearly 30 years ago that had this system, just an ordinary battery, no issue with battery life. We sold it to a friend's mum when we needed something bigger, and bought it back ten or more years later as a second car when they had to give up driving.

Reply to
newshound

Be interesting to know about this 'new breed' of lead acid batteries. Or is it just ad speak for a larger unit?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

AGM seems to be more than a matter of branding, albeit not just for stop/start: also allow batteries to be fitted where spills would be a risk.

Reply to
Robin