Car battery

Advanced gas matt batteries pre-date start stop by a considerable time. And it's not usual to worry about the battery spilling on a car.

Most 'fully wet' batteries are reasonably spill proof anyway these days - they are sealed and have a vent tube to the outside, rather than vents on each cell filler as on older batteries.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Do you mean much like stop/start oil rather than 5W/30?

Reply to
alan_m

5W/20
Reply to
alan_m

I don't follow this. Is this the handbrake or the footbrake? I was taught you should use the handbrake to hold the vehicle while stationary - not the footbrake.

Reply to
Scott

Engine switches off when you apply the handbrake, so has to restart when you press the clutch before pulling away.

Reply to
Rob Morley

But there was never a good reason for that teaching.

Reply to
chop

So how do you do a hill start?

Reply to
Max Demian

On my car, the electric 'handbrake' automatically disengages as you try to pull away.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hmm I saw a very new Audi A3 driving down a snow covered road yesterday with its back wheels locked. it was -5c outside Auto handbrake ?

Reply to
Mark

Mine won't do it on the first pull away after starting. Or, the last car didn't. Haven't tried it on the new one yet (only done 68 miles).

Reply to
Bob Eager

The hire car that I had recently released the handbrake as you increased the revs, even in neutral and with the clutch down. I only tried that after having seen a newspaper report of a girl sitting in her father's car, releasing the brake that way and the car rolling down a hill, turning over and killing her.

Reply to
SteveW

Mine wouldn't ever roll-back anyway, but rather than disable start/stop via the button a "tricky" junctions, I just tap the gearbox into sport mode, that also prevents the start/stop from activating, and the car is then ready to make a keen getaway!

Reply to
Andy Burns

One good reason is that you aren't shining your high powered brake lights into the eyes of the poor *** behind you.

Nowadays they are fitting cars with auto hold brakes. Stop, then take your foot off the brake and it keeps them on for you.

Including the ******* lights.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

My previous car (same make) didn't leave the brake lights on when it held the brakes for you, unfortunately the current one does, I could press the "P" button on the gear knob for it to swap to the electric handbrake, but it's *so* much effort :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

Never had a problem when I was the one behind.

Reply to
chop

In article snipped-for-privacy@pvr2.lan, chop snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com scribeth thus

What if you were on an uphill slope and another car was right behind you?...

Reply to
tony sayer

The reason is your foot can come off the pedal when rear ended. OTOH nowadays handbrakes can be feeble, so better to use both brakes at a stop. Strange how many people think it safest to use only one.

Reply to
Animal

Even sillier than you usually manage and that's saying something.

If you are rear ended, even with the brakes fully on, your car will slide over the road.

Mine isn't. The car sort of just squats if you try to drive off with the handbrake on.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that's saying something.

Nothing strange about it given that even with perfect brakes, your car will just slide over the ground if rear ended.

Reply to
chop