Improving the humble surgical mask

Gentlemen,
We all know by now that surgical masks are much better at keeping bio-nasties from escaping a carrier than they are at preventing said nasties from infecting a wearer who's attempting to avoid infection. But there is something you can do which massively improves the surgical mask's ability to trap virus particles before they can be inhaled: a very light spray with some of this stuff...
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Just a very, very, very light dusting is all that's needed. Gives the fabric a tacky coating that lasts for hours. Don't overdo it. All you need is enough to make it just barely perceptively more difficult to breathe through; that's all. Not to be confused with other products of a similar name; this one is the best by far; nice fine, atomised spray.
--

"We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed. And should European statesmen address us with the question, 'Will you join us in this undertaking?' we should reply, “Nay Sir, for we are an island race and we dwell among our own.”

- Winston Spencer Churchill
And how long till the fumes from it are found to be toxic? How have you proved this works though?
I'm one of those that after the nuclear war would rather spend a few days outside than spend my life in a shelter. Brian
--
----- --
On 22/03/2020 20:18, Cursitor Doom wrote:

And your source for this... ?
--
Robin
On Sunday, 22 March 2020 20:18:57 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:

I'd have thought that wearing a full face guard (such as many use anyway in workshops) would actually be worth considering. No evidence but I suspect it would also reduce likelihood of a virus getting to the eyes.
On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 14:14:52 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google

I saw such in use on a nurse on the news earlier (she also had a mask on of some sort). No good against inhaled stuff of course but might against direct spray (like someone coughing in front of you).
Cheers, T i m

Used in A & E and surgical situations were the patient may be spraying sundry body fluids in all directions; often inadvertently, but sometimes deliberately. Also used by law enforcement in some situations.
--

Roger Hayter

Sounds nasty and very dangerous.
It makes you wonder how/why someone could possibly defend the delaying of essential safety masks to NHS staff by a, supposedly, civilised country.
Then, some people support ‘special rules’ applied by selection boards to deny Asians and women jobs.
On 23/03/2020 07:26, Brian Reay wrote:

It's outrageous. I mean a civilised country like the UK wouldn't ban the export of medicines already paid for would it? Oh, it has. I guess we're the same as the French then.... trying to look after our own.
On Monday, 23 March 2020 07:52:11 UTC, mm0fmf wrote:

Link? ..... Oh! You just made that up.
On 22/03/2020 21:14, polygonum_on_google wrote: ...

This being uk.d-i-y I would have thought that a lot of the contributors would, like me, have a professional half face mask and protective eyewear. I reckon with P3 rated filters, which I have for that mask, and chemical splash goggles, that is probably as good as a full face mask. I have got one of those too, but its filters are primarily for chemicals and only rated P1 against dust, which won't stop a virus.
--
Colin Bignell

On 23/03/20 09:13, nightjar wrote:

It doesn't have to. Most coughed particles are in the size range of 0.3 to around 10 microns, which a P3 will stop. I have one and used it when I went shopping last week. I got all sorts of strange looks and the odd comment, but I don't give a damn. You only have to look at how Joe Public behaved yesterday in their understanding of what "social isolation" means to realise much of the population has not the slightest idea what it will take to slow the spread of this virus.
--

Jeff

Quite. Was a post on my local group yesterday from one bemoaning driving to Richmond Park, finding all the car parks full, and then getting a ticket for parking on the grass - alongside lots of other cars.
The side streets are pretty quiet here now. Both of cars and pedestrians. No reason not to just walk round them for exercise.
--
*When chemists die, they barium.*

Local Groups are great aren't they ? On the Chiswick one the only one that attracts a good number of posts for a whole swathe of West London, the long standing feud about the Cycle Super Highway, errant schoolkids, and similar "low-lifes" and "scum", and posts about keenly anticipated new restaurants and new burger joints is being replaced by feuds about how many shops should stay open.
Meanwhile back in the real world to the South West
<quote>
St George?s health trust in South West London has seen 15 coronavirus deaths. As of Sunday March 22, it is the joint highest number of deaths for a healthcare trust in the country, alongside London North West University Healthcare Trust.
?Previously fit and healthy young people in their 30s and 40s, attached to machines, fighting for their lives. This is no joke. Yes, most may get mild symptoms, yes many are older but young, healthy patients are NOT immune. The worst of COVID-19, can be horrific.
?The Prime Minister has been blas? about this from the start, waiting for others to make decisions so he doesn?t have to. It is costing lives! Enough is enough. The NHS cannot cope and it won?t be long before doctors have to choose between who lives and who dies.?
On Sunday (March 22), Dr Lisa Anderson, consultant cardiologist at St George?s Hospital, also told the BBC?s Andrew Marr show that *the hospital already has four wards full of patients with Covid-19.*
She added that one ward has also been put aside full of patients with coronavirus who are being palliated as end of life care.
The intensive care unit is also ?currently near capacity.? As of Saturday evening (March 21), it still had 3-4 beds free.
* Dr Anderson criticised the lack of personal protective equipment given to staff *
https://www.wandsworthsw18.com/#home
</quote>
I don't watch much mainstream news so I don't know if this sort of stuff is being featured very heavily or not,

Indeed. And was only to be expected maybe, sensible people are being penalised because of the stupidity of others. In many places they're closing parks 24/7 On Saturday walking along a canal and a big park between 5.a.m and 6 30 I sawonly one person, a woman walking her dog in the park aroud 6.10 am.. asking her at a distance what park gates were open. Walking along side streets at night and setting off exterior security lights is adding a whole new dimension to life,
michael adams
On 23/03/2020 09:54, Jeff Layman wrote:

I would rather be wrong by taking unnecessary precautions than be wrong by not taking enough precautions.
--
Colin Bignell

On 22/03/2020 20:18, Cursitor Doom wrote:

I've read a few reports that suggest that the virus can also enter via the eye. Probably why the recommendation is not to touch your mouth, nose and eyes.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

It can. The lacrymal glands in your upper eyelid produce saline liquid which lubricates the eyes. If the virus lands on this liquid then every time you blink you're potenially pushing the virus inside the lower lid. . Presumably the virus is denied entry via the ears by the earwax which protects the inner ears. Its posible to think of other potential points of entry as well, more especially if someone coughs or sneezes at just the wrong moment.
michael adams
,,,
On 22/03/2020 20:18, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Probably does fuck all at the 100nm virus size level. Sticky substances have a high viscosity level resulting in a large size droplet spray.

"Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." :-D