Work as normal on Monday for anyone else?

Or just me?
--
Adam

On 22/03/2020 15:47:22, ARW wrote:

And me.
On 22/03/2020 15:47, ARW wrote:

Normally don't work Mondays. Hopefully Tuesday will be work as usual.
On 22/03/2020 15:47, ARW wrote:

Good on you.
Forced to work from home by order of CEO but not really an issue as I write software. I sit in front of a computer in Scotland that spends its life talking to computers in Munich or California. Doesn't make much difference where I am physically located as long as I have some internet and don't even need that fast a connection.

Don't you also need a sufficiently big screen?
I've had reports from people forced to work at home on laptops (rather than two large monitors) and finding their productivity massively reduced as a result.
--
Roland Perry

On 22/03/2020 17:37, Roland Perry wrote:

Yes I have a pair of 24in monitors plus the laptop screen normally in the office. When we were told to work from home we were told to take whatever equipment we needed from our desks. I have just a single 24in (because of space problems), the docking station, a decent keyboard and a mouse. I can't cope with trackpads. It's not ideal as I do use 2 big monitors full time but it it's infinitely better than just the laptop.
I'm very aware that many people are not having a good time, self employed or business forced to shut down and I am unbelievably fortunate in comparison. Where possible, I have been buying from my local shops more than the big retailers and trying to put money into the local economy.

That's interesting. I've seen a memo from an IT department this week saying "don't you dare..."

Too many home-workers only have the kitchen table. OK temporarily, I suppose. Having been a home-worker mainly, the last 30yrs, my office is in the biggest room in the house, and has a door to isolate the domestic environment.

I fear that the economies of being self-employed are about to catch up with a lot of people (SSP, what SSP?) Let alone the gig-workers with several part-time jobs.

It's important that one's locality is sustainably self sufficient, and not reliant on a once a week big shop in a supermarket half an hour's drive away.
--
Roland Perry

On 22/03/2020 19:20, Roland Perry wrote:

Someone high up decided to upgrade the remote working resources 6-8 weeks back so every employee can remote work.
There's a work website I need to visit this week and enter the serial numbers of what I have taken but nobody is being heavy about filling it in yet. Looking online, 24in monitor, dock, keyboard and mouse costs less than £400. For the 30 in our office it's under £12k. Chicken feed. Even if they had to write off that cost for all 15k employees worldwide that's only £6million. Which is still chicken feed in the grand scheme of hoping to keep your workforce alive and productive. They'll have spent more on upgrading the VPN ports and buying 40Gbps internet links for the core offices and data centres.
On 22/03/2020 17:37, Roland Perry wrote:

I tried using the laptop. Then I pinched the new TV. I now have a 50 inch 4k monitor. /she/'s not happy though! (The old one is only 40 inch, 1080.)
Andy
On 3/23/2020 9:38 PM, Vir Campestris wrote:

My daughter is using a combination of TV and laptop on her dining table (which is now her office). Laptop screen alone, would not have done it for her.

Know a guy who supplies monitors and laptops. Bit busy at the mo.
--
bert

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 00:01:25 +0000, bert wrote:

And try finding a reasonable webcam anywhere.
On 24/03/2020 01:05, Bob Eager wrote:

Oddly enough I have not had a single enquiry about webcams... USB Wifi adaptors however seem far more popular.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 22/03/2020 17:17, mm0fmf wrote:

I would prefer it if you praised the NHS staff.
I will be working in hospitals but not doing the job they do.
--
Adam

On 22/03/2020 17:40, ARW wrote:

You seem to be remaining level headed. I'm hoping that might be contagious because there are plenty on here who could do with a good calming down.
I have a number of long term health issues that put me in a high risk group and have already dealt with practice nurses and pharmacy staff this week. I made sure they knew I was very grateful they were still able to work despite being under great stress by their workload and the increased risk to themselves and their families.
I've been working in various GP practices until last Friday when they let us all go. I'm not sure where I fall as a newly-unemployed self-employed contractor.
On Sunday, 22 March 2020 19:42:24 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@mdfs.net wrote:

Queueing outside Tesco for (a) milk (b) a job.
Owain
On 22/03/2020 19:42, snipped-for-privacy@mdfs.net wrote:

You can (a) join the very many self-employed complaining loudly on social media that they paid their taxes "just like employees" but have no package or (b) do something useful while you wait for the package expected to be announced in the coming week (while consoling yourself with the thought that that you didn't) - e.g. see if you qualify for Universal Credit.
--
Robin

Didn't what?

That'd be a first.
--
Max

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 12:42:21 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@mdfs.net wrote:

Where you PAYE? or after issuing and invoice?
If PAYE they ought to take you back on and grant leave of abscence. HMG then pays up to 80% of your wages, caped at £2500/month.

Join the club, up shit street without a paddle (at the moment, there are loud rumblings of something being announced this coming week.
Universal Credit/ESA are means tested. >16K in savings you can't get them. New Style JSA, about £90/week is a possibilty but you'll have to have paid 2 or 3 years of Class 1 (I think) NI or have suitable NI credits.
--
Cheers
Dave.