car auxhilliary heater

so it was quite easy to add things in. Haynes even gave the numbers of the individual cables.

Reply to
charles

If you do a search on google.com, quite a lot of servicing information is available for the BMW units.

Reply to
Capitol

In the US, Autozone frequently have that information on their website for US models.

Reply to
Capitol

  1. I don't have a BMW

  1. I was doing my own maintenance in the 1960s and 1970s - long before Google was invented.

Reply to
charles

I predate you!

Reply to
Capitol

I think it pumps the coolant water into an insulated tank between runs. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

My apologies. I didn't realise such handwarmers even existed. I'm familiar with the principle of supercooled water where it takes just a gentle tap on the bottle to initiate rapid crystalisation (where no mention of heat emission was made, probably on account the endpoint temperature was still below 0 deg C).

It would seem that considerable development has taken place since August 2007:

Reply to
Johny B Good

I wasn't aware that such supercooling based re-usable heating pads had been developed until you pointed them out. :-(

I notice the 100 or more heating cycles limit which is fine for an inexpensive heat pad but does seem unsuited for use as a heat store in a car without the extra complication of a 100 cycles swap out maintenance routine involving some form of cartridge exchange system.

The main issue with such a system is designing it for rapid heat release of the stored energy. It's one thing to use a simple gel filled heat pad where the 45 minutes release time is a bonus but another thing when that heat energy needs to be transferred to the engine block in just a few minutes. It's this latter issue which seems to have been a major stumbling block for such pre-heating use according to one paper on the subject.

Of course, there may well have been further R&D in the 14 years since that thesis was published. If a workable pre-heat store based on supercooling of salts can or has been developed, it does offer the attraction of reduced insulation costs and, as you mentioned, 'indefinite heat storage'.

Reply to
Johny B Good

The "Reusable 1000's of times." claim seems overly optimistic considering the S&A Magic Gel Handwarmers features list includes the phrase. "With proper care, these hand warmers can be recharged over

100 times"

I wonder what the truth of the matter is?

Reply to
Johny B Good

Cloth the child properly. For example a blanket wrapped around them as well as normal clothing. Make sure you they don't overheat.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Surely you mean " sehr gut "

Reply to
fred

The physical principle will work indefinitely -- it's a supercooled liquid, and the little metal clicker provides a crystallization point when activated.

However, it's plastic bag you boil and knead and sit on and carry in a pocket with keys, so its lifetime is limited...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Ground (well, outside window sill) temp a couple of days ago went down to -10C here in Edinburgh and a few days before that it was 2C and damp inside and out when I rented a City Car Club Leaf (they had a special price, and I can see why!).

I had to use the battery-powered heater to be able to see through the windows, and the first few miles of driving with heater on used up 10% of the range, according to the dashboard display.

The car, however, was great.

I suggested later when I filled out their survey that a propane or butane heater would be a useful option for those who aren't religious about the matter.

Reply to
Windmill