car auxhilliary heater

This year we have a little one to take to the child minders so hectic morni ngs, and I have a diesel car which is slower to heat up than a petrol car. So I was thinking of some type of auxhilliary heater that can get things go ing. Any recommendations? - most of the 12V lighter socket ones seem to hav e poor reviews. Simon.

Seems a waste of time, well for that reason anyway. Just chuck an extra fleece blanket over them if you are worried. The small one will be fine.
Babies in buggies don't have heaters :-)
--
Chris French

I had a Kenwood mains one which I was very pleased with until the day its thermostat failed & it boiled the coolant, its pump seal failed & all the coolant pissed out onto the driveway and I had to remove it in the blowing snow.
Wouldn't touch one with a shitty stick now.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 36th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3180
"I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me that trouble of
On 24/11/2014 17:27, sm_jamieson wrote:

*Most* of the 12v lighter ones have poor reviews? Why only most? A lighter socket can provide say 60w. It's like pissing in the ocean.
Are you thinking of running a mains lead out to the car? Then, in principle, any small heater with a thermostat will do the job, if left on for an hour or two. The main problem will be stopping hot bits melting the plastics in the car.
On 24/11/14 18:09, GB wrote:

If you were doing the latter, might as well go the whole hog and have an engine pre heater installed like the canadians often do. What you spend on the setup might be paid back in part by better fuel economy and less engine wear.
GB wrote:

Look at Kenlowe Hotstart or Webasto Thermosystem or equivalents ...
On 24/11/2014 18:09, GB wrote:

When I had a CX estate with two inches of wet foam under the footwell carpets, parked on a drive, and setting off every morning before dark I left a 1 kw fan heater in the back, and switched it on for 20 minutes while I had breakfast.
On Monday, November 24, 2014 6:10:00 PM UTC, GB wrote:

ornings, and I have a diesel car which is slower to heat up than a petrol c ar. So I was thinking of some type of auxhilliary heater that can get thing s going. Any recommendations? - most of the 12V lighter socket ones seem to have poor reviews.

Space in the market for such a heater but wired in properly rather than usi ng the lighter socket then - not as good as an integrated solution but a lo t cheaper as a retrofit.
Simon.
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 09:27:48 -0800 (PST), sm_jamieson wrote:

Surely the little one has a decent coat?

Buy a car with an auxillary heater as an option.
Or put a portable fan heater in it as you start breakfasts but be careful that the air inlet and outlets can't get blocked. Perhaps one of the vertical ones rather than a traditional flat one.
Personally just put some clothes on. Yes, I do drive a diesel and it's the best part of 10 mins before the heater starts to work.

Hardly surpising as 10 A (about the safe maximum from a ciggy socket) at 12 V is just 120 W. I have a 12 V travel kettle it takes about 20 mins to boil a mug full of water.
--
Cheers
Dave.
sm_jamieson wrote:

Dress the child warmly and give it a hot water bottle (inside a cover). Take duvets etc in case the car breaks down.
Bill

As it happens, our 2009 Diesel Ford Galaxy seems to warm up quicker than the previous Mondeo, but my wife's Yaris does seem to take a while
--
Chris French

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 18:50:09 +0000, Chris French

I don't know what you are all on about - I have never had this problem with diesel cars and vans.

Or better yet, don't.
Unless you like mending your car's cooling system at 07:30AM in the blowing snow.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 36th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3180
"I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me that trouble of
On 24/11/2014 22:17, Huge wrote:

In any case, at best, it simply ensures the heater is working at full power from when the engine is switched on. You are still getting into a freezing cold car.
sm_jamieson was thinking very hard :

Well look at it this way - the 50/100 watts will make little if any difference to the interior of a car, so a complete waste of money.
The only worth while addition to a diesel is a Fuel Burning heater to pre-heat the cooling system. Around 6Kw of output, burning diesel fuel and your car can be pre-heated before you even get in it. They don't use much fuel at all, rather like a miniature boiler for your central heating. Mine came fitted with one and I would not be without it, but they are quite expensive. HGV's have them fitted, where they are called 'night heaters'.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
On Monday, November 24, 2014 10:44:22 PM UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Ebay generally have a load of them for sale, ex GPO vans ISTR. They're used in boats also.

Some canal narrow boats have them.
http://www.eberspacher.com/products/fuel-operated-heaters/air-heating.html
This year we have a little one to take to the child minders so hectic mornings, and I have a diesel car which is slower to heat up than a petrol car. So I was thinking of some type of auxhilliary heater that can get things going. Any recommendations? - most of the 12V lighter socket ones seem to have poor reviews. Simon.
If you think you're badly off, you need to try an electric car heater! :-)
On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:09:48 AM UTC, harry wrote:

Serious question - are the heating facilities in an electric car sufficient to make the car practical at, say, -10C ? The battery range must be drastically reduced I would have thought.
Simon.

I've often wondered about them. I guess they are hopeless then? Big drain on battery as well?