Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

Look at the circuit diagram. The positive of the battery is only connected through a capacitor. How can a capacitor possibly pass DC current to allow the battery to charge?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What else might that yellow thing be, other than a capacitor?

Reply to
jkn

A thermistor or a VDR, to provide current limiting. Regarding operation, power diodes tend to have a higher Vf than small signal diodes or transistor junctions, so once the diode goes into conduction it produces a large enough voltage to turn on the transistor and the red LED, indicating that charging is taking place. The green LED merely indicates that power is applied to the circuit.

Reply to
Custos Custodum

My (probably futile) hope was that he might answer it himself, or at least try to...

Reply to
jkn

Sorry, I should have checked the provenance of the thread more carefully. Apart from that, I couldn't resist the chance to show off. :-)

Reply to
Custos Custodum

My guess - a polyfuse?

Reply to