cameras on lamp-posts?

That has never been true. The police have always been able to operate hidden speed traps, including cameras. Even when the bright yellow ones were compulsory for the safety cameras the police could set a hidden one a couple of hundred yards down the road.

The signs are there to get more drivers to obey the speed limits as are the high vis cameras.

They don't need a new offence, if you take less than a certain time to cross the zone you are speeding, its very simple. They can have multiple entry and exit cameras if they want. It doesn't make much sense to time people across the lights but they can put cameras on lights. If you look at traffic lights some of them now have boxes on sticks. These are aerials in the main but I have seen some with cameras. These are not the same as the sensors for traffic which you also get on some lights where they have stopped slitting the road and putting in wire sensors.

Reply to
dennis

Surely, given the economies of scale, it should be *all* police cars ?

Given a decent Android mobile in a cradle would achieve 95% of the grunt as is .....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Exactly. Befordshire police said that's why they now run the speed cameras on the M1 all the time, not just when the limit is reduced below 70 as had been the case. The income pays for 5 extra officers.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I must remember that when I go South. There's talk of them doing similar on the Nottinghamshire HADECS2 section.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's a speedspike camera.

Reply to
barno.gb60

There are several types of cameras on lamp posts..

council run CCTV Police run CCTV ANPR run by the DVLA ANPR run by the counter terrorism unit Police run speed traps (they can be hidden). there used to be council run speed traps but they haven't got any revenue from them for years so they have gone. Council run parking cameras. Council run bus lane cameras. Lots of other organisations can also put cameras on lamp posts and other poles including the AA and RAC.

Reply to
dennis

They've been checking 70+ at all times on the M62 in Yorkshire since they were switched on.

How does that work? I though all such revenue went to the Treasury. If not, it should do. Very bad idea to have it available locally.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's an idea from their Police & Crime Commissioner, which was still being talked of as "a proposal" in June.

Reply to
Andy Burns

But that only works if the dosh stays local, which AFAIK is not the case. And long may it remain not the case.

Reply to
Tim Streater