B&Q quality of wood

Needing one piece of timber fairly quickly and to avoid a time consuming journey via the traffic jam to my usual supplier I went to the local B&Q. I have never seen so much planed wood with so many knots and splits. I went through 5 packs before I found something just about acceptable. Other customer were loading up trolleys with multiple packs of the same quality without seeming to notice the defects under the shrink wrap.

Reply to
alan_m

B&Q timber is great. If you want to build a boat - it's already bent to shape.

Wickes is better, or find an independent.

Reply to
David Lang

Same here. Needed any old crap for temporary bracing a length of hardboard so plumped for sawn battening. Didn't notice the splits and terrible twist in it at the time I strode confidently out with it. Fit for f*ck all but firewood and I can get that much cheaper elsewhere.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Even their so called StraightWood[TM] which is finger jointed from shorter lengths and planed, doesn't live up to its name.

Reply to
Andy Burns