Calor Gas Bottle (a bit OT)

My daughter announced she was going camping and asked if we had anything she could borrow.

I dug out a folding table and a two burner hob plus a Calor Gas bottle - adaptor and Gaz regulator/ tap. Tested it and it worked fine.

Question - I realised the bottle dates back to 1972 - have they changed? If she empties it will she be able to get a refill?

Reply to
John

Pretty sure they haven't... David

Reply to
Lobster

Well they are blue these days rather than grey but if it is the 4.5 KG container (12lb ?oz tare)then they still have a left hand thread rather than the nasty modern connectors you commonly get on the larger bottles.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

The 13kg cylinders we use for the hob here are left hand thread. There was no indication that this was anything but normal.

Reply to
Clive George

I don't come into contact with Calor Gas much these days but where I have other than my own two burner all butane bottles have had the new fitting. However what I have found with the 4.5 kg cylinders could have applied to the larger ones as well and Calor are actually maintaining two different types of fitting with the old fashioned thread being kept available for those who have old installations.

Memory fades (or disappears altogether) but ISTR that the new connectors started to appear at the time the cylinders switched from grey to blue. I could easily be wrong though.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

It is LH Thread and is a green/grey colour

Reply to
John

In message , John writes

If it's camping Gaz (901, 903, 907) rather than Calor then no. I was gifted a 1970s cooker and bottle, the bottle was *exactly* the same as the current ones and was exchanged with not even a second glance when it ran out. Calor, I suspect haven't changed much but can't speak with any authority

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Are you happy with the rubber gas pipes? After a few years before they should be ditched as a matter of course.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Is there not a date stamped on the bottle that shows when it needs to be retested, i.e. every ten years? Ot don't people in the UK bother about safety issues?

Reply to
Matty F

Why would one need to retest a very thick steel bottle after its sat in a shed for a while?

NT

Reply to
NT

I don't know what pressure Calor gas is, but all of the refillable gas bottles that we have in NZ have to be pressure tested every 10 years, or the gas suppliers won't fill them. The bottles can rust on the inside and leak or explode and burn you and your family to death.

Reply to
Matty F

Are these for gas bottles you take in, get filled and then take the same bottle away again?

Camping Gaz and calor gas here don't work like that, you pay a deposit on the bottle to start with (Or find one in a hedge), then when it is empty you take it and exchnage it for a full one, it is up to the supplier to deal with testing and scrapping failed bottles.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

We have both schemes in NZ. I could swap a half empty bottle for a full one, but that would cost me more than just having my bottle topped up, when I pay only for the extra gas. If I'm going camping I want the bottle full when I start, so swapping a bottle has never made economic sense.

Reply to
Matty F

In the UK they exchange the bottles and test and replace bottles as required. You never actually own a bottle.

Reply to
dennis

When we started caravanning in 1957 the butane bottles were a sort of olive colour and you spannered a regulator onto the top. Some time later they changed to blue with a quick release mechanism as part of the regulator. IIRC we swapped the old style bottles for the new style.

The red propane bottles still have a screw on regulator (left hand thread) - at least the ones in our camper van do - but it is so long ago I can't remember if this was the same setup as the old butane bottles.

Whatever, if it is an old style fitting then the best thing to do is try and swap the old bottle for a new style one (go directly to Calor if you have any problems) and change the regulator for a new one along with some new rubber pipe.

Pipe and regulator should cost you less than £10 and in future connecting and disconnecting gas bottles will be much simpler.

HTH

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Well my double burner is about 50 years old and works at high pressure without a regulator. No sign that that hose is nearing the end of its useful life although the same can't be said of the burner itself.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

I was expecting it to be showing signs of age but it seems okay. Good point though - I will get a new one anyway. It is white - I recall old red ones used to crack.

Reply to
John

Well described "Olive Green" - stencilled 10lb Nett

Reply to
John

I have just thrown out a flyer that stated that Camping Gaz is available all over Europe. The only problem will come if she gets another hob/grill. The gas regulator from that era for our Tilly Titan is a higher pressure device than the modern ones.

Dave

Reply to
dave

I think the two bottles are not the same. I have a Camping Gaz 907 bottle (6 lb) that has a right hand thread.

Dave

Reply to
dave