Call me wanker - again

Has this person also checked the actual voltage they are running on that made both blow I wonder?

The words voltage regulator come to mind. Brian

Reply to
Brian_Gaff

TBF, removing the wrong kidney is a _bit_ more serious than changing the wrong light bulb...

Reply to
Adrian

This is one.

The one I use is 4 digit however.

Reply to
Capitol

& how accurate is that?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Yes - but his nice P5 3 litre from the last series seems to have been changed into the much less prestigious P6 2000. Police budget cuts even then? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agrees with other DMMs. Never bothered to use my calibration unit on it.

Reply to
Capitol

=car+voltmeter

I'd mis-trust such a unit to give a result that can be Relied upon.

Purely due to the low cost I find it difficult to believe it's as good as a ny DMM costing more than £10.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Think I've seen this somewhere in the UK. Gets good reviews.

Capitol

If you both email me I'll give you my mobile number. You will need to check I am on site. I finish at around 4.30pm most days - a bit earlier when there is a tube strike.

Reply to
ARW

I just have too much on. I did 18 hours over the weekend on top of the London job. Thankfully I do have most of next weekend clear.

Reply to
ARW

Some years back on consecutive nights, I had two street lights fail as I drove past - I began to worry on the second one :)

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

As a child, my aunt went into hospital to have a troublesome bone removed from her foot. As she was being wheeled to theatre, my grandmother stopped them and pointed out that they'd marked the wrong foot!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Same in principle though

Reply to
bert

You can do it for so long, and you'll think you're jack the lad. Then one day it will hit you, and it will make you very ill.

It's Ok working all hours for a few weeks, or even months, but eventually it will get you. And believe me when it gets you it's bad.

Look after yourself. You are your most important piece of equipment. Would you treat an expensive test meter the way you treat yourself?

Take a break. Bollocks to the money.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Going by the very similar one I've got, the answer is "Accurate enough - how accurate do you need it?"

Decimal places are irrelevant for this purpose. You only really need to know if it's charging (~14v ish), not charging (~11.5v ish) or overcharging (~17v ish). Three lights would be adequate.

Reply to
Adrian

Which is why I don't do Trading Floor support any more. It seemed quite exciting at the time, but the steady succession of "working all hours" weeks got through to me in the end.

Reply to
Huge

Arn't lungs known as lights? maybe just animal ones when used in cooking. G.harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Assessing charge rate by alternator voltage is a flawed idea. Use an ammeter.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If I ever end up needing any left/right sided bits removing under anaesthetic, my plan would be to write "not this one" in indelible marker on the the other side before going in ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, if you need to know charge rate. But - unless your alternator is massively under-specced given the modifications you've made to, and the demands you're placing on, the electrics - it's irrelevant and you don't need to know the charge rate. So long as the alternator and VR are working, the charge rate is more than adequate.

You'd also need to do much more major modifications to the wiring on the car to have a useful ammeter. That's why ammeters haven't been fitted to cars since dynamos went the way of the dodo, and why all "battery gauges" fitted ever since have been voltmeters. Hell, these days, they're just "under/normal/over" meters controlled by an ECU. Same as water temp gauges, boost gauges, oil pressure gauges etc etc...

Reply to
Adrian