call a phone when its o the hook

My Mother keeps leaving the phone off the hook. Is the a phone, module for an existing phone or modification i can make which means even if she does this. I can still call here.

oh and no smart answers about telling her to put the phone on the hook!!!!!

Reply to
Fidel

No good calling here, I'll know it's you and refuse to pick up.

Reply to
Tim Streater

After a set period of time the loud noise coming from the off hook phone (sent from the exchange for just this purpose) should make it obvious that the phone is off the hook ...unless she is deaf.

Reply to
The Other Mike

dose not work for some reason.... i need to be able to call even when the phone is off the hook

Reply to
Fidel

That only happens on "System X" exchanges AFAIK

Reply to
Graham.

The only way I can think of is a cheap PAYG mobile, perhaps left somewhere inaccessible but not inaudible, perhaps left on a charger (depending on how often you visit).

Reply to
Newshound

A timing circuit started when the cradle is lifted that then resets the cradle switch to on-hook after, say, 30 mins.

Reply to
Scott M

I have the number of one of my Mum's neighbours.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

BT used to be able to send a nasty noise to the other person's phone. Dunno if they can still do it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

How? Is it poor design of cradle/handset that allows the handset to be placed on it and look correct but not actually operating the switch? If so change the phone... Same applies to a a one piece phone that has to be put a particular way up to operate the hook switch.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I was going to say, get her an old GPO style phone:

'm thinking 70's style halfway down, 70 quid, not necessarily the expensive serious antiques).

It was nigh on impossible to not replace the handset correctly on one of those unless you got the cable trapped (never remember that being a problem).

Heavy handset and positive cradle = problem solved :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

another option is a PABX and several phones.

If one is off hook, the rest wont be..unless she deliberately takes them off.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fidel :

You just can't take a hint, can you?

Love, Mum

Reply to
Mrs Fidel

No; it certainly worked on Strowger ones too.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

But maybe not System Y?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Nope - at least not on that line.

Reply to
John Rumm

Don't use Vodafone for this. After a couple of months of no calls made from the "emergency" phone, they cancel your SIMM and steal your money.

Reply to
Huge

I had an old Orange SIM, which my daughter had used when at university - it went unused for a couple of years and had been cancelled. But when I called Orange, they were happy to transfer the remaining credit (about

15GBP)to one of my other SIMs. A couple of months ago, I checked another Orange SIM, which had been unused for about a year - it was still functioning.
Reply to
S Viemeister

Brownie points for Orange, then. Voda simply wouldn't give me back my money, even though it was for an emergency phone for my 93 y/o MIL. Phags.

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
A.Lee