Artex reduction, best option?

Ceiling in hallway with god awful spikey artex, I cant afford a replaster/skim by a pro so I was looking to at least reduce the spikes for now before I paint it. I started to do this trying a metal float and then scrapers but it is tough going. I then tried to waterspray the artex to soften it but not much better. The artex I am sure has been gloss painted hence the spray not having much impact in trying to soften it.

Any ideas on how to reduce the spikes, if I can at least get a `softer` looking artex then I can live with it for a year or two until I can get a pro in. I assume to try and skim this myself is a no no.

Reply to
SS

orbital sander and dust mask.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You should bear in mind early Artex has asbsestos fibres. Without testing no way of being certain wheter yours has it or not. You don't want to spread asbestos round the house do you? There is special stuff made for covering it up but I don't recall the name.

OR You can mix up plaster with PVA glue and water and apply it with a brush to reduce the peaks. Keep brushing as it hardens, moves it from the peaks to the troughs.

OR Buy some polyskim & do the same or even try to skim it. Poly skim is easier to use than plaster.

Reply to
harryagain

Everything you try will cost more than having it re-plastered. Just ring someone from your local newspaper to give you a price, it will probably be less than you expect, about 80 quid

Reply to
Phil L

Phil I dont disagree with you but I dont have £80 to spare, I need to get some outside work done, redecorate complete house, new kitchen and 2 new bathrooms.Not fogetting cheap laminate flooring to be replaced with carpets. Now a lot of the work I will DIY and only what I cant do the pros come in subject to what budget is left. If it was only a ceiling then no probs, although nothing major wrong with anything there are so many jobs to be done I need to save where I can thats why if I can just improve some things until a later date then I will live with that. But you are right under normal circumstances thats what I would do.

Reply to
SS

In message , SS writes

I tried all sorts to get rid of the damn stuff, I think an electric plane worked best, but it looked dreadful, and it's difficult and unpleasant work overhead, so I ended up getting it professionally plastered, and it looks great. I'm just living with it in a couple of other rooms until I get a plasterer in. As others have pointed out some of the old Artex contains asbestos, not sure how lethal the asbestos type is, but I'd check before considering sanding it, even the electric plane kicked up a lot of dust. Good luck.

Reply to
bof

I thought of that bot but then moved on as I thought it would screw the blades and I need the plane for a few doors that are sticking (another fekcin job that needs doing) and other bits and bobs. Jeeees why was that stuff so popular at one time!

Reply to
SS

It was cheaper and quicker than proper, smooth, plastering. It was also in fashion, just as woodchip wallpaper was.

Reply to
John Williamson

In message , SS writes

I confess I didn't do much with the plane, but it didn't come to any harm, they seem pretty robust things, the plane has had a run in with steel vice jaws and come to no harm, though the vice now has an attractive scalloped appearance

One of life's mysteries.

Reply to
bof

Yes, when we moved in I think every room in the house had either woodchip, Artex or both. At least woodchip comes off easily.

Reply to
bof

Not necessarily... I have done it with some success.

Knocked off the high bits with the trowel, then gave it a coat of dilute PVA with a long pile roller. Slapped on a coat of multifinish - spread nutella style - i.e. thick enough to cover the lumps and roughly flat, but not worrying about leaving it looking like it had been spread with a knife. Left that to harden for half an hour. Did a second mix of plaster (tiny bit thinner than the first), then slapped that over the top and smoothed it out a bit better. Then waited a bit and smoothed some more, wait and repeat a few times. Then finally give it a going over with a few splashes of water to tidy up trowel marks etc.

The result was not too bad. Gave it a coat of paint, then filled any obvious dings with a light weight filler, before painting properly.

Find yourself a couple of youtube videos on technique and the consistency of the plaster required.

Reply to
John Rumm

I did this job recently in our en-suite bathroom.

First part was to remove as many peaks as possible. Used the Bosch Multi Tool with a wedge shaped attachment that is designed to remove tile adhesive. The Multi Tool proved useful in other ways as well (eg cutting through floorboards/gouging concrete and plaster). Problem you have is that if you don't have such a tool you will be spending £70 or so to buy.

After doing this I skimmed the ceiling (from experience I would now make sure that the plaster mix is very thin) - my initial mistake was to make the mix too thick and it was an exhausting experience to spread. Recovered the quality of the finish by sanding down. Again a task wotrth avoiding.

km

Reply to
km