Wallpaper vs. Emulsion

There is something I like about emulsioned walls (provided the colour is agreeable). I have just stripped the wallpaper off a bedroom in my house, and am now applying emulsion. My reasoning was that, campared to re- papering, I'd be saving myself a lot of work and expense in the long-run - at least, once the old paper was stripped off. But was I right?

I had forgotten that painting a room with two coats of emulsion is almost a full day's work (for a non-pro, like me, at least).

Had I opted for wallpaper, the job would now be done and dusted in a morning, but the wallpaper would prbably have cost more than the emulsion. The emilsion cost £24 for 10 ltrs. I guess wallpaper would have cost more.

There is also the question of which lasts longer: wallpaper or emulsion. The answer is probably that both should last indefinitely. So which is most likely to drive one to redecorate the soonest? In my experience, it is usually wallpaper. The pattern goes out of style more quickly than does a bare emilsioned wall.

What are your own preferences, and why?

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
AL_n

SWMBO, normally.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 4 Aug 2011 13:15:40 GMT, "AL_n" gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

If it takes all day to complete two coats in a room, or just wallpaper instead and take a morning to do it ... I really admire your wallpapering skills.

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Just occasionally you get a lovely almost featureless wall to paper but most have windows with reveals, doors, radiators, loads of sockets and witches etc. Having said that paper can cover a multitude of sins and doesn't show small movement cracks.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

That is one of the reasons that I avoid wallpaper. Papering around the witches is just too fiddly and time consuming. Especially if they have their brooms with them.

:-)

Reply to
Andrew May

You have to get on their right side and persuade them to co-operate as only they can. Yes, at first it's awkward, but after a spell it's fine.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Oops, must have papered over the s

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

Emulsion. Washable (OK, some papers are). Easier to apply (by me anyway). Easy to touch up (if you keep a bit of spare in a jar).

Hell of a lot easier to reapply - wash down and paint - not strip and paper...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I find them useful to stir the paste.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Silk is, matt isn't. Try and wash matt emulsion and you end up taking it off the wall.

So why is it more popular :-(

tim

Reply to
tim....

To a degree yes. I used Dulux "Endurance" which does seem to stand a bit of washing whilst being matt. I find that if you've washed it so much it's wearing through, it's probably time to repaint... The exception would be a bathroom, or moreso a kitchen.

Dulux "Bathroom" grade which is a silk is 100% stable under washing. But your point is a good one vis a vis my kitchen which is not yet painted. I should probably use a similar grade there...

It doesn't look so bad with rough walls - in fact they can pass for "rustic" in a reasonably peasant way...

And it lights better.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Does it matter as its usually the wife that decides and that depends on their mood. They would have you put up paper and then decide it wasnt right so you have to paint it. :-)

In my last house we decided to tile the kitchen floor, I put forward all the pros & cons but hey she bought the tiles she wanted. Now we are talking a kitchen of 26 x 11 feet + utility room...spent for ever doing a damn good job, then she decides the colour and texture isnt quite right. I got someone in to redo it! No way was I ripping up my work, just couldnt do it. we got someone to sort when we were away on hols.

Reply to
SS