Calculating your carbon footprint - a load of bollocks

Does anybody else have the feeling that the stuff you buy in shops actually costs approximately nothing, all you are paying for is the cost of advertising, marketing and sales.

I first came to this conclusion years ago when I saw a pair of Chinese copy mole grips in the £1.00 bin at the petrol station. It would cost Ca. £10.00 for me to package and ship an item like that to the next town

-and they had come from China.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Is that in Harrods gift paper and same day delivery?

UK second class post and a jiffy bag - less than a fiver.

But likely in a container by sea. Which is extremely cheap.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. Its another form of wealth redistribution, characteristic in an economy with an excess of cash.

Screw by the kilogram in brown paper bags will come back, for sure..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So it seems: in preparation for emigrating I have just shipped a selection of my books (got the number down to 500!!!), DVDs, 70 souvenir coffee mugs from around the world and some clothes. 16 cartons in total. Cost for the removal firm to come to my home, pack everything, ship to Melbourne and at the other end deliver and unpack was £500. I can't help thinking that sending it all to Manchester would have cost more. IIRC the rate for a container load to Australia is no more than about £3-4K and that's a lot of almost anything.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

There was a bloke on Dragons Den last week demonstrating a very nice device that detects a bath overflow working and instantly turns both bath taps off. The point was it was mechanical and no electric involved. It looked a really good gadget. Unfortunately he said it would be made in China for £5 and sold for £60.

Reply to
EricP

Not sure about that. Single-storey and >5metres between homes means they're a ratehr low-density use of land. They seem to combine the worst of renting - with no ownership of the underlying plot - with having the maintenance costs of a house on a depreciating asset. A lot of parks insist you buy a new home or move the old one once it gets to >15 years old; they don't want the parks looking shabby.

I was thinking more like

Owain

Blame that on the importers/retailers, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The only time I sent a container, the damn ship ran aground. So I was contacted by some never-heard-of insurer asking if they could settle on my behalf. Seems they have to go round every single container and contact the owner. All I had to do was sign a form and forget about it, but was odd at the time.

Reply to
Rod

Thank you for your words of encouragement

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Well it was coming to the UK - via Hamburg. Maybe they are better leaving?

Reply to
Rod

Must have been driving on the wrong side - auslaender eh ?

Reply to
geoff

...and so is the CO2/'global warming' myth.

Since Al Gore's famous graph of CO2/temperature over the millennia was shown to be flawed - in that the CO2 levels *lagged* climate change - the heat has gone out of that debate, and focussed on sunspot activity instead.

However, the dear old Beeb, always keen to support government policies when they involve raising taxes for spurious reasons like this, showed a programme on Sunday night(?) that tried to debunk the CO2-debunkers. It 'answered' the 'sunspot' thing by saying that as sunspot activity 'blew away' the cosmic rays that promote cloud formation (which cools down the planet), sunspots had nothing to with climate change!

So now we know.....we need to control cosmic rays. New tax, anyone?

Reply to
Terry Fields

Another astronomical tax?

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

The message from Terry Fields contains these words:

So you believe that the greenhouse effect is nonexistant?

If the greenhouse effect is real, and it has been accepted as fact for over a century, then whether or not CO2 concentrations tend to lag or lead is an interesting side issue.

There is a rational explanation for the lag, if it really does exist, in that some of the extra CO2 is expelled from the sea as sea temperatures rise and the sea is such a huge heat sink that it lags years behind atmospheric temperature trends.

Reply to
Roger

Well if they said that then the BBC is talking cr@p. Cosmic rays are high energy particles that solar wind has no effect on. The damn things are travelling so fast they penetrate deeply into the atmosphere where solar wind doesn't reach. If that is the basis they are discounting the cosmic ray effect on they need to think again. I will have to get iPlayer out and view the program to see what other lies they are telling the gullible.

Reply to
dennis

The more frighetning thing is that CO2 appears to be both a cause and an effect, of global warming: I.e. you have a nice positive feedback system that can 'flip' the climate between a high CO2/low CO2 regime, depending on what is stored in the oceans.

Hitherto, its probably been volcanic activity or sunspot driven: now its fossil fuel driven.

There is an interesting balance also between coal burning and warming, in that the short term effect of coal burning is to put up particulates that cool the atmosphere: its when you stop burning coal because of acid rain etc, and fit exhaust catalysers to cars, that you suddenly get a rise in temperatures. China is now burning more coal than ever..

The poles are the place that receive the least sunlight, but have the same radiation poetntial..they are the heats sinks of the world. Reduction in radiation from the poles by CO@ blanketing leads to rapidly risng polar temperatures.

We are seeing rapidly rising polar temperatures.

Its probably far far too late to stop CO2 generated global warming though.

What is needed is a way to generate the massive amounts of energy we will need to deal with its effects. An that isnt going to be photovoltaics or windmills.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just did it.

Yep. Sit in the dark, wearing 2 sweaters and never go anywhere.

Reply to
Huge

That's because the correct mantra is actually "Reduce, Re-use, Recycle". Note that Recycle comes last.

I'm no greeny, but I hate waste.

Reply to
Huge

If my parents emigration to the USA was anything to go by, they will omit the final two steps. Please tell me you aren't using Pickfords?

Reply to
Huge

Why are you conflating the greenhouse effect with global warming? Could it be that you are seeking to mislead? Or are you merely an idiot?

Reply to
Huge