Cables in wall

I need to instal a new socket in one of our rooms and just want to clarify what I need to do about burying the cable in the wall. The wall is plaster over brick, so can I just chase out a channel and plaster the cable in place or should the cable be in trunking and then plastered over.

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

The regs allow you to do that. With certain provisions. The wire should go either vertically or horizontally direct from the socket to the wall/celling/floor and not go at odd angles. This means that the next monkey with a spanking new SDS drill has a chance of working out where the cable runs.

Its traditional also -not sure whether its regs or not - to shove a "U" shaped bit of trunking, preferably metal, over it screwed or nailed to the wall. This has the benefit of keeping the cables flat before re-plastering.

OTOH when the BCO wasn't looking, I have been known to chisel a longish gouge in the underlying, and wedge the cables in with matchsticks, and apply bonding coat rapidly before anyone notices.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from "Jim" contains these words:

Provided the wiring you propose is OK (not a spur off a spur, for example) then yes, provided the wiring complies with the rules about where wires can run.

You're allowed to go horizontally or vertically from existing visible fittings within the width (or height) of that fitting. You're also allowed in the 6" at the top of the wall.

Page 37 of this shows you...

Guy King

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

I thought that was how everyone did it.

Reply to
Guy King

Nah. Couple of large head galvanised nails into the mortor course evry meter :-)

Reply to
dcbwhaley

Yup. Done that as well..also those metal tie wrappy things.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher