Biscuit cutters for the router

On ebay if anyones interested.
They're not bad for the price and cut an excellent clean slot. :-) http://tinyurl.com/lpul2
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I prefer to dunk my biscuits in my coffee
dcbwhaley wrote:

You must have no teeth the. ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Seriously. What is a biscuit in this context?
dcbwhaley wrote:

They're for joing two pieces of wood together to give strenght to the join.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/products/Lamello-Fibro-Biscuits-365557.html
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

And jolly good they are, too.
Though the router solution works, a proper biscuit joiner isn't very expensive and is far more versatile. For example, it's hard to put a slot in the middle of a panel with the router.
I've got a Ferm machine and though there are ways in which it could be better it's certainly good enough.
Plenty on eBay.
--
Skipweasel
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Better still, they keep the surfaces pretty much aligned but allow slight movement lengthways. Good for fabricating larger panels from strips of timber, also good for light duty corner joints when making carcass's.
As Skipweasel said, a proper jointer, even a cheapo is much easier than a router.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Yup, go along with that. Having done it both ways, the router option is far from ideal in many respects.
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

On a router table?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

How would you put a slot in the middle of a large panel using a router at all?
--
Skipweasel
Guy King wrote:

Heh!
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Guy King wrote:

Using a straight fluted cutter!
--
Cheers,

John.

Bloody smartarse! I'l stick with my biscuit joiner - far easier, neater, produces the right size slot without having to set up a fence to follow and so on.
--
Skipweasel
Guy King wrote:

Quite agree, but you did ask! ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

On a table is better, but is still a very poor relation to using the correct tool. Firstly it is the wrong radius cutter, so you have to elongate the cut by a variable amount to match the size of biscuit in use, second you loose the speed and freedom of use that you get with the handheld machine that allows you to sink biscuits very quickly - especially on partially assembled work which would be trickey getting on a router table.
Used freehand, the router cutters are a liability since it is sow easy to spoil thw work with one careless movement that moves through the cutter rather than round it (DAMHIK)!
--
Cheers,

John.

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote: