Cabinet and damp

Against better jusdgement I sucumbed to instructions to have a wall mounted cabinet under the wash basin in the bathroom.

Already there are signs of the laminate lifting at the bottom edge due to the carcase swelling.

Any ideas to prevent this getting worse?

Reply to
John

If the cabinet is typical chipboard panels which either have melamine or a foil finish, once they have swollen there is not much you can do to fix it. If you are looking to prevent further damage then you need to find the cause of damp getting to the material. In a bathroom there are likely two causes condensation or direct water contact. For the first, if you have someone who likes steaming hot baths but keeps all the windows shut then the lack of ventilation will likely be the cause of condensation, opening a window, a better fan are the solutions there. If the cause is direct water contact on edges that have edging strip and will be visible then a plastic angle liberally glued on should fix the seal without looking too bad. You say the bottom edges are where the swelling is taking place if these are simply cut edges without edging strip then a liberal smear of silicone along the edge will make an effective seal, do any other similar edges.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky snipped-for-privacy@sky.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Most of it will be the odd dribble down the side from the washbasin.

I like the idea of a plastic angle. I will look out for something.

Reply to
John

Well even my old one with epoxy impregnated chipboard and parts made from Marine plywood is beginning to go and have had to hide the ragged edges with plastic angles.

I like under the basin units but eventually they all succumb to the ingress of the wet stuff in some form. What really does annoy me is that some years down the road and you want to replace like with like, you cannot as the sizes and designs alter it becomes a nightmare due to the matching of tiles and colours and size of basin and plumbing and and.. grr. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

that's easy, replace it with something fit for purpose. If you want to extend its life you can try & waterproof it but failure is inevitable.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr