Buying Paraffin

Where can you buy paraffin these days? A local garage had a paraffin pump but that must have been 20 years ago. I haven't seen it since then.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

Hardware stores. Garden centres sell it, but very expensively, in 1 gallon containers. Best getting your own can, and getting a local hardware store to fill it. Still somewhere in the region of £4-5/gallon though, I think.

Reply to
John Whitworth

5litre plastic containers in B&Q, more expensive than 4star though. getting your Tilley lamp ready?
Reply to
Andy Burns

I saw it in B&Q last week (garden centre part) but it was over £5 a gallon!

Reply to
<me9

Diesel is cheaper, even DERV with road tax on it!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

there's a garage in Mansfield that sell it from the pump, about 85p a litre last time i got some, but i didnt need parafin really, was to clean out my diesel heater,

kerosene is about 60p a litre, smells more but not a problem for my application as the heater is mounted under the motorhome, so only tent campers can smell it :)

i am only running it on kerosene over winter, runs a bit cooler on it than diesel, but cleans the carbon out brilliantly, heater is on the frost setting, so being used a lot atm, when i start using the motorhome again i'll go back to red diesel.

Reply to
gazz

Sure it was 5l? I saw some 4l containers.

Reply to
dennis

Some garages sell it too, typically in 4 litre containers.

Reply to
Clive George

Most allotments have a shop for their members, so try and get pally with a n allotment holder and ask if they could get you some.

Reply to
the_constructor

Quite possibly, it was a couple of years ago that I last bought some.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Red diesel? Isn't that only for farm use?

MM

Reply to
MM

For transport use, probably - but for heating, no.

John Whitworth

nope, it's for anything that dosent get used on the road, hence a heater or generator are allowed to use it, thank bod too, as with the prices creaping up again for white diesel, i would prolly have to go back to gas for heating.

Reply to
gazz

Only a small amount of duty on it (10p/l?) so you can't use it for motive power on the public highway (with some exceptions, like tractors etc). You can use it in boilers and gen sets etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

...except boats. Clearly they don't get used on the road, hence shouldn't be paying road levels of tax, but someone has recently decided that "all those rich gits with yachts" should have to pay road tax for it nonetheless.

(Actually it doesn't make a vast difference to me, as a 15HP engine used at fairly low revs for a few hours per trip doesn't drink that much diesel, but the principle still annoys.)

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon