Buying gas in the USA - Zip Code

U Know that if you try that, they will have Great Britain, and if you try that as well, it's England/Wales/etc.

Reply to
polygonum

Having just come back from Utah/Colorado area the answer seems to be pick your supplier. Shell seems to behave exactly as you describe but Phillips/66 and 7/11 have no need to enter Zip code and the card works fine at the pump.

Not one location (other than ATMs on my pre paid credit card) in the USA would use my card existing PIN. It was either simply swipe (Phillips/66 gas stations) or swipe and sign (everywhere else). I wonder if the ZIP code thingy is a primitive PIN. (someone stealing a card would not necessarily know the ZIP code of the owner)

Reply to
news

Doesn't help if their 'county' records are out of date. Send something to Swansea and all too often you'll have to use West Glamorgan which disappeared 25 years ago.

Reply to
Eric

No, it's never that, it's always England, Ireland, Scotland and then Wales at the very bottom of the shit pile - a conquered nation and never allowed to forget it.

Reply to
greyridersalso

While that is true, it's also true that a large proportion of postal addres ses don't need the county - the PO tell me that my postal address contains just the house number, road, town and post code. I don't need to put in the county - which would result in my case in the fairly redundant pairing of 'Northampton, Northamptonshire'. On the other hand my place of work does ha ve to have 'Towcester, Northamptonshire' in its address, so it is still nec essary to allow for counties, just annoying to have tham as a required item . I think it's still true that the 'county' boundaries as used for setting ad dresses aren't always the same as the administrative ones...

I find that annoying, too.

Reply to
docholliday93

And even more obvious when the drop-down starts Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, ...

Reply to
polygonum

Unless you live in Yorkshire, because it's always nice to boast.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Don't have one.

Doesn't have a name.

That would be the "post town" rather than any town in the general vicinity.

We have one of those. B-) 5 delivery points along about a mile of road, two of the places you can't see from the road.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There's an app at work I have to use occasionally. Scroll down to United Kingdon - not there. Scroll up to Great Britain - not there. Scroll up to England - not there. Then I remember - in this app, we are called Britain.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And the ones where you have to know your are in EMEA first...

Reply to
polygonum

But how many need that county as part of the address?

I was born in Aberdeen. Even before postcodes, never saw its address being written as Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

Of course I do realise your house on the hill in the middle of nowhere needs all the help it can get. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Post Office still have Middlesex as an address, but that went a long time ago - 1972?

Reply to
charles

I live in Suffolk, but my Post Town is in Norfolk, and has a Suffolk-based Post code. I should put 'Norfolk' as my County, but since I live in Suffolk, I refuse to, so I don't put any county in my address.

Reply to
Davey

The correct Royal Mail format is to not use any county names at all. However, numerous sub post offices show a "county" name on their receipts etc...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

So I am actually abiding by the rules. Darn.

Reply to
Davey

I live in Suffolk, but have a Cambridge post code. (CB)

5 miles away people have an Essex post code. (CO) 10 miles way, they have a Norfolk post code. (NO IIRC) 10 miles in another direction, they have a suffolk one. (IP)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They have to wait for management to come along & very often there is a big delay and hooha.

Reply to
harry

esses don't need the county - the PO tell me that my postal address contain s just the house number, road, town and post code. I don't need to put in t he county - which would result in my case in the fairly redundant pairing o f 'Northampton, Northamptonshire'. On the other hand my place of work does have to have 'Towcester, Northamptonshire' in its address, so it is still n ecessary to allow for counties, just annoying to have tham as a required it em.

addresses aren't always the same as the administrative ones...

At my last house the postcode was unique to the one house. As was several neighbours.

Reply to
harry

The very first address I remember writing ended Newcastle-upon-Tyne 4.

So that combined a primitive form of postcode (later became NE4) and no county - that was wayyyyy back, very early 60s.

Reply to
polygonum

  1. I have driven all over the states and have never been asked for a zip code at a petrol pump. Then again I do always pay in the kiosk if the attendant doesn't come out and serve me!
  2. I have experienced US designed software with a drop down box listing all the states that would not accept anything else!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike