Buying a kitchen in france?

Ok - I know it scheaper to get sinks, taps etc in France. Wondering if you get better quality kitchens aswell as a good price. If so - can anyone suggest places near calais and can U get them off the shelf?

Scott

Reply to
Scott

When I lived in Switzerland, IKEA was 25-30% cheeper in than in England.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Ikea is cheaper in most European countries, especially in Sweden where it genuinely is bargain bucket prices. I have it on good authority (from Swedish friends) that the Ikea management laugh at the UK for paying such high prices for goods. Trouble is that we pay so damn much for everything in the UK that Ikea actually seems cheap in comparison.

Reply to
peak man

The typical French kitchen looks more like something you would have seen in

1950s Britain - lots of individual units. There is a trend in new builds for 'American' (i.e. fitted) kitchens, but I don't recall seeing any DIY versions in my local OBI or M. Bricolage. Then again, I wasn't looking for them.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Hey, you got THAT right! We are ripped off more than anyone else in Europe, I reckon. Not just in DIY and furniture, but food, clothes, travel, you name it.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

I've just bought some Ikea PAX wardrobes. Before buying them in the UK I checked prices in France and Germany. Germany was dearer than the UK and France was much dearer. As an example a PAX 100 x 236 frame is £47 in the UK, ?75 (about £50)in Germany and ?100 (about £67) in France. Just out of interest I/ve checked some other countries...

Prices for the same item:

Sweden - 859kr (about £65) Belgium - ?75 (about £50) Czech Republic - 3,690 CZK (about £76) Switzerland - 150 CHF (about £65) Poland - 295 PLN (about £41) USA - $90 (about £50)

This assumes, of course, that the prices quoted on their web sites are the same as those in-store - they certainly are for the UK so I don't see that they would be different in other countries.

I guess that not everything will be cheaper in one particular country, and other countries may be cheaper still, but it loooks like Poland is the place to shop.

Andy

Reply to
Andy P

This stems from when the pound was 'weak' against other currencies. In most cases, I think you'll find things different today. Unless, of course, the difference is due to UK taxes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Leroy-Merlin (next to the Auchan hypermarket) has units available off-the-shelf, but there will almost certainly be something that's out of stock and needs to be ordered. They will check stock at Boulogne and Dunkerque for you if you ask and you can sometimes save a return visit at the cost of a 20-mile trip up or down the motorway. The Dunkerque branch has recently been extended and I prefer it as it's usually quieter than Calais.

Lapeyre (opposite Auchan) has a reasonable range that can be ordered on their website

for collection in Calais.

Conforama (also on the Auchan site) covers the 'cheap and cheerful' end of the market.

Hope this helps,

Roger.

Reply to
Roger Wareham

I saw an episode of Property Ladder where a couple did just that; however they did notice that some things are more expensive in France than in England. Also be careful with the taps - I think there might be some differences in the systems. Happy shopping otherwise!

Simulet

Reply to
simulet

where a couple did just that;

Plumbing stuff in France is generally made for working at 3 Bar as that is what nearly all houses use - no stored water, gravity-fed as we here in UK commonly have.

I have bought stuff in France for several years now and whilst many things are cheaper ( most supermarket stuff, engine oil about half price, chemicals wide variety of D-I-Y stuff, lighting and tools in particular,) you can't assume that because its French its cheaper. Also check the quality, if it matters or is appropriate - some stuff is really very poor quality, but some is just the same as you get over here. I bought a cooker hood/filter, which extracts to outside for about £45, when over here, the exact same item was in one shed for 3 times the amount.

Overall though, there are big savings to be made if you plan and research the costs

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

The exchange rates I used were today's based on what you might get on a credit card.

I think you will find that Ikea is generally cheaper in the UK than other parts of the world. Whether this is to do with taxes I neither know nor care. VAT in the UK is 17.5%. In France its a bit more, in Germany its a bit less.

The exchange rate would have to change considerably to make France a good place to buy these particular Ikea products although Germany is not far off. The reason I checked the prices over there was because we had some relatives moving back to the UK from Germany. The transport costs to the UK would have been zero.

A LOT of things are cheaper in mainland Europe, but not all.

Andy

Reply to
Andy P

By all means get the units, but leave teh plumbing there. Half teh time it doesn''t fit UK fittings.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hygena (MFI) trade over there.

DG

Reply to
derek

Food in Switzerland was much more than in the UK, soap and cleaning products were VERY expensice. But then the Swiss don't have the Common Agricrutrial Policy.

In my expereince you have to shop arround, and when you buy abroard, and don't speek the lingo is *REAL* hard to take it back.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

I just did a quick search for property in Poland. For example: "House in Kaszuby, 150 sq m with garden 800 sq m, 40 m to lake, country area. Stara-Huta, near Gowidlino, Pomerania province, POLAND, 230,000 PLN"

That's about £33,000!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

There may be some differences, but nothing that Fernox won't fix!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Crikey! How times change. I remember driving between Calais, Dunkerque and Ostend along the coast road through Gravelines. No motorway in the

1970s! There was an extensive section of no mans land between France and Belgium, around de Panne, I seem to recall. I wonder what state one would belong to if born there.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Tiny, tiny detail! A brazing torch, some pipe and I could make anything fit.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Kin ell. That's tempting. My business could be run from anywhere given the courier costs of sending and returning engine bits for modification and I could arrange a UK address for receipt and onwards transport and run the entire thing from a small castle in Poland. However I don't know anyone in Poland so I'm looking at moving to Scotland to achieve a similar objective. 4 bed detached at

200k or less compared to 500k in Bucks. Gives me a bit of spare cash to play the stock market with anyway.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

A depressed one, I would say. That whole area is like a no-man's land. I find that whole area from the coast down along the French/Belgian border pretty depressing. I suppose when one considers the number of battles that have been fought there over the centuries, it's not surprising.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall