Buy to lets

It's just another ban. Pretty soon no one will be allowed to do anything in case it affects somebody else.

4x4 drivers have the freedom to see the whole road, but that reduces my visibility in a normal car. When everybody has rights, no one has any.
Reply to
Stuart Noble

In article , Clive George scribeth thus

Quite..

But no one wants anything built in their back yard, next door, their village, in their bit of green and pleasant land so they all wonder why prices are so high with building land in such short supply!....

Reply to
tony sayer

I normally have a gret deal of time for your opinions, David, but this is utter crap.

Reply to
Huge

Might be worth seeing what sort of price an equivalent BTL property goes at auction.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Oh the irony. Please seek help again. Hopefully they'll lock you up away from a computer once more and give us all a break.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please eff off as you are vacant in the head.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What's the difference between nicotine gel and nicotine gum?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You can't blow bubbles with the gel.

Or

About £3 a packet.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

nice gels don't blow bubbles

michael jackson won't let them

Reply to
geoff

I think he's a bit challenged in the Bubble-Mix dept.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

It isn't at all. Smoke is horrible and stinks. The cigarettes cause fires and all sorts of disgustingness and kill people en-mass.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is *so*.

Well, just don't go there.

Not according to the fire brigade.They say matches and 'Uman Beens are worse.

You are confused. That's the incense.

Now, ciggy smoke keeps flies away, it's fragrant too get some today.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

It hasn't been at that high a percentage here for some years most sensible people had already quit before the ban, since then about half the regular die hard smokers have kicked the habit which only leaves about four or five who have to go outside for a fix. I have to say the type of shelter you are allowed to erect for smokers is stupid for pubs that depend heavily on wet sales for their income, as these pubs always seemed to have highest number of smokers it was definitely turning brass monkeys outside tonight.

-
Reply to
Mark

I'm afraid for the majority of those it will be a temporary thing. Smoking is an extremely addictive habit and stopping for a few months doesn't mean that addiction is broken.

Yes - the law seems designed to punish smokers. One of the few laws of this type I can think of. Must have been drafted by an ex-smoker. An outsider must consider the wisdom of this parliament which enacts such swinging legislation for one anti-social drug while positively encouraging the use of another - alcohol - which has at least as many if not more undesirable effects on individuals and society at large.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the room is allowing smoke to escape it is badly designed. There are plenty of labs etc where it is essential air from them doesn't get to the building in general.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They may well have been. I imagine that most restaurants don't really want to make their customers sit in a fume cupboard.

However, in the U.S. the implementations of separate areas, which was tried for many years, simply didn't work which is why eventually smoking was banned within buildings to which the public has access and in many places now within a certain distance of buildings.

Toilets are in separate locations to where people congregate and eat and drink and usually have air extraction. Of course, toilets are involved in dealing with necessary bodily function, whereas smoking is not a necessary bodily function.

Nobody would really suggest the idea of people crapping on the floor of a restaurant. However, the smell from smoke does permeate from practical implementations of separate smoking areas and to a non participant is as offensive in combination with eating as someone having crapped on the floor. It really is that bad.

Reply to
Andy Hall

... which is one of the costs of building a house ITRW.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

To say that individuals who support that do so for the full variety of reasons would surely be stating the obvious.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes the housing market is a bit shaky at the moment but buying an investment property is exactly the same as any other investments - they rise and they fall. On average, house prices double every 7.5 years - but past performance is no indicator for the future. Providing you have done your due dilligence and buying as a long-term investment (and not to make a quick buck) then you should be OK. Local Authorities are crying out for private landlords and they pay the market rent so if you can't find a private tenant then this is an option. Also if it is at the lower end of the rental market you will also find tenants easier than the luxury ones because you will be capturing all those who would otherwise be first-time buyers.

As a nation we have a huge influx of immigrants and expect another million over the next 10 years - these people all need to live somewhere!

Finally, the current climate is due to the callapse of the US market and not like the one we had back in the early 1990. Yes, property prices will dip - possibly by up to 10% but I doubt we will have a crash because the BOE is monitoring things closely - remember the BOE hasn't raised interest rates, it's the lenders' SVR which have gone up and that has been purely down to the fact that they can't buy in money to lend back out so they are raising their rates because there is more demand than supply.

One of my clients phoned me in a panic because he had heard that property prices would drop by around 40% - I don't have a crystal ball but if that was to happen the the country will be bankrupt because the knock-on effect on other industries will be huge - people love to create headline news which cause panic - as happened with Northern Rock - someone had it in for NR because other banks did the same but they didn;t receive the same media exposure.

The other angle is. If property prices do dip (say by 10%) then 1st time buyers will not want to buy - but they need to live somewhere. This again will have "supply and demand" on the rental market - more demand pushes the rents up.

In a nutshell - don't let one single article persuade you one way or the other, do your homework and make an educated decision. You are either an invester and as such take measured risks or you are not - in which case keep your money in the bank.

Hope this helps

Reply to
janido

I don't think anyone here was suggesting it's a bad thing to ban smoking from eating places. But it would be the smokers who sit in a fume cupboard.

They do many strange things in the US without any logic - like murdering some convicted criminals. Due to pressure groups.

No - but I'd guess you'd be pretty upset if toilet smells were present in a restaurant.

The discussion was really about pubs and clubs. Although if a restaurant made it plain smoking was allowed those who didn't like this could just go elsewhere. You are never forced to eat in a restaurant anymore than you are forced to drink in any pub.

It seems strange you are so keen on market forces and freedom of choice on other matters - why not this?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)