Butt hinge for aluminium garage door

The garage opening is side hinged with one part being about a normal size door width and the other being a lot wider.

The lower hinge of the smaller door broke today. It's made of brass. The door does catch a bit as it's opened but not that much.

Anyway I may as well replace both top and bottom hinges but any tips? Should I go brass again? Or steel? Rust? Security?

I'll probably pop-rivet into the aluminium door and wood screws into the side frame unless suggestions are otherwise.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Steel + ali results in much accelerated corrosion of the ali. Not a good combination

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Brass,steel, ali is worse:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

True. Try brass or good quality stainless hinges. I had A2 st. st. screws etc. through the ally racks on a trike that was used in winter. When the frame broke the trike, with salt still on it, was put in a damp shed for a dozen years or so. When I dismantled it all the fasteners - and the greased nipples on the spokes - were easy to undo. Fire door hinges are usually good and available for different weights.

Reply to
PeterC

But only if it gets damp.

Reply to
newshound

I'm pretty sure outdoor things do.

Reply to
tabbypurr

we can only guess what that means.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I once used pop rivets (aluminium) to secure protective strips to a sports car wing. The real mistake was using brass washers under the rivet heads. Moist road salt environment, they lasted less than 12 months.

Someone will chip in with the electrical activity numbers for various metals:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

So what would you use for an ali door? Casting ali hinges & using ali rivets might be ideal but it's a bit of a faff.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Something like this?

Fixings might be the bigger problem. Will the door skin take a machine screw thread.

Reply to
Tim Lamb