Simple butt hinge question

I'm in the process of changing all my doors over and have been told by the joiner to get hinges that are roughly 100x60.

Couple of questions.

Toolstation only list one of the dimension sizes on its hinges. I take it they are proportionate so 100mm will be roughly 60mm on the opposite plane?

loose pin hinges, are these for being able to lift the door off without unscrewing the hinge? Does this make them slacker than normal fixed pins or is there any advantage / disadvantage between the two types?

Thanks.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

yes, useful for sanding and painting doors horizontally.

IME no, the pins and not especially loose, generally need to knock them out with a hammer and some form of spike.

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1 A suitable punch makes pin removal simple, provided there is clearance to sufficiently extract the pin.
Reply to
Nick

I've never seen hinge dimensions expressed in that way - but only 3" or

4" hinges, etc.

I presume he means 100 x 60 when opened out flat - so 100 x ~30 when folded? How thick are the doors? Obviously the 'half-hinge' mustn't be any wider than the thickness of the door!

What size are the existing hinges? Can't they be transferred to the new doors?

Reply to
Roger Mills

There are three basic types of door hinge; Lightweight heavy duty and rising buts.

They are all sold as 3 or 4 inch (metric these days) I have never seen them sold by depth or width.

The other specification is brass or steel. Obviously there are ^n varieties of hinges available but those are the basic specs.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Yes; useful eg for a loft hatch too, as it means the whole hatch can be removed easily.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Oh - and I'm sure I long ago saw them used in scenery construction to hold adjacent flats together, possibly with pull-loop wires welded to the ends of the pins so they can be removed easily.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

The doors are 35mm in depth.

Yes I don't want the hinges any wider than the door hence why do Toolstation only give one specific dimension? Seems bizarre to me.

The existing hinges are probably okay apart from covered in layers of paint and since the new doors are oak I'd rather start with an nice new shiny set of hinges as well.

Cheers

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Fair enough. 4" (100mm) hinges of "standard" width will be fine.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You might be better with stainless steel on oak. The tannins discolour brass and steel.

Reply to
harryagain

Thanks guys for all the replies. Much appreciated.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

I found with loose pin hinges that the real problem was putting everything = together again - admittedly the door I was dealing with had access problems= (it was at the end of a passageway not much wider than the door and opened= into the passage) but I couldn't get the door held in position and get acc= ess to drop the pins in - I had to undo the hinges from the frame and assem= ble them before screwing them back to the frame.

Reply to
docholliday93

If the doors are heavy, Wickes has st. st. 4" hinges in packs of 3. I fitted some to my new shed as the door's wider than standard and fairly heavy.

Reply to
PeterC

Don't suppose Zinc plated or Chrome plated is just as good as these are a lot less than half the price of Stainless, since I'll be buying a lot of them!!

Thanks.

Reply to
Steven Campbell