Burn barrel ventilation holes

@ O n e t e l dot c o m

wander are lost
I'm with Steve Firth on this one. Whack about 20 holes with a pick axe in the base, then stand it on bricks.
If you cut 1/3rd of the top and 1/3rd of the bottom off a steel drum, then similarly whack in the holes they make a superb barbeque when set on a suitable frame, using weld mesh as the grilling surface. I've three done this way, and an angle iron frame to sit them on that neatly gets lifted to where ever we are feeding using forks on the back of the tractor. Last used a few weeks ago when we fed a couple of hundred people over two days.
AWEM
Add pictures here
✖

Seems all my original holes are too small; I'll have to enlarge but hopefully still keep most of the ash inside.

Impressive. Farm wedding?
--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
snipped-for-privacy@Nonetel.com @ O n e t e l dot c o m
writes:

axe
drum,
set
of
Wife's 60th !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AWEM
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 20, 5:34 am, snipped-for-privacy@Onetel.net.uk.invalid (Windmill) wrote:

You cut or knock a largish hole in the middle of the base about 3 or 4 inches wide and stick a 3 x 3 down the middle of the barrel as you load it. Load the driest leaves into the centre around the timber then pack it down as you load it.
Remove the timber and put a fire lighter or some kindling in the base. It will burn like a chimney fire when it warms up. Putting a lid on it with a small pipe to extend the chimney a yard or so and it will flare like a jet engine.
Once it is burning nicely you can load it with wet leaves and it will keep going. Just pour them in around the sides so they feed into it slowly.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 04:34:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@Onetel.net.uk.invalid (Windmill) wrote:

Get yourself a posh stainless-steel incinerator with factory-punched holes!
(Never tried it myself, but a chap I know swears by old washing machine drums...)
Thomas Prufer
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 22, 8:04 am, Thomas Prufer <prufer.pub...@mnet- online.de.invalid> wrote:> (Never tried it myself, but a chap I know swears by old washing machine

IMHO, they're a good start but they need work and aren't perfect. Their great advantage is that they're stainless, so they're allowed to be visible and don't have to be hidden away all the time....
An incinerator needs draught and this ought to be natural draught, not faffing about with a fan. So that means height. Barrels good, washing machine dums too short. A washing machine also has holes in the side, not in the base, so the draught is top air and largely robbing any useful draught you might get, in favour of just being a convector heater. The side holes are also on the small side, so there isn't really enough air through them.
So for both barrels, your main air supply needs to be pickaxe holes in the base, or at least the bottom of the sides below a mesh burn platform. With a washing machine drum, this is enough for burning with secondary air for a clean burn through the side walls. More height wouldn't hurt though, so if you can get a second WM drum, cut the base and stack that on top (twisted fence wire loops will hold them together).
If you're lucky, the drum spider can be used as a support to raise them off the ground. Mine's welded to a bit of old pipe and spiked in.
Add pictures here
✖
Andy Dingley wrote:

Natural gas is a sight easier to burn than wet biomass and most of us expect to have fans in boilers. Fans provide turbulence, one of the 3Ts needed for good combustion.
Have a look at air curtain burners, one way of burning tonnes of waste wood fast, I have built several, including using a 45 gallon drum and an Earlex vacuum with thyristor speed control.
AJH
Add pictures here
✖