Fingerlings In A Barrel Advice

I plan to grow potatoes in a tall plastic garbage barrel this year. (The barrel has a drain hole in the bottom and a series of 2-3 inch diameter holes in its sides.) I was disappointed with last year's results so I pose the following questions to the group:

Do I correctly assume that watering requirements are greater when growing vertically like this? Is there some technique that helps retain moisture for this type of planting?

As the plants grow, should I fill the barrel with more soil, or should I use straw/leaves instead, or some layered combination thereof?

How much of the tops of the growing plants should I leave exposed as I fill in, or do you just bury them completely as they grow?

How quickly should I fill in? IOW will the harvest be less if the stalks are exposed to air and sun for more than some particular amount of time?

Thanks,

J.

Reply to
John

My problem ws too much water. It caused everyting to rot and die. I used old tires and the dirt stayed too moist. My aunt told me that when she was a kid, they planted the seed potatoes, and then didnt water them. This was in Western Kansas and they didnt get a lot of rain then either.

You might do a combination of both. As the new tubers form, they will need some nurishment, although I have heard of them being planted in hay and producing (until they started finding snakes in there also).

I would leave 2 to 3 inches exposed, unless it is supposed to frost, Then I would cover them with a lid until the the next day and the danger of freezing is over.

The harvest will depend upon the nutrition, moisture, and sunshine it receives. You might start several, do them each differently, and take notes. Then compare the results and let us know which did best.

Good luck.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Might get too hot if you use a black barrel, and the water requirements will be reduced, not increased.

An old tried and true method of "tower potatoes" is to use old tires...

Get a stack of tires about 6 or 7 tires tall.

Start with just 2 tires. As the plants grow, add another tire and more soil until you have them all stacked. This is supposed to produce a lot more underground stem growth (rhizomes) so increases spud yield.

I've not tried it yet, I just read about it and it made sense. :-)

Cheers!

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet