holes in leaves

I have a tree in the front yard and just discover that almost every leave on the tree have holes in it. Not sure if it's insect eating it?(but every leave). It look as it grew like that. Any advise would be helpful for this first time home owner. thank you.

Reply to
saidev

Sounds like bugs to me. If the holes have what look like burn-marks on the rim as though a cigarette was pressed to the leaf, then its fungus, but if they're clean chomps, there are probably insects crawling out of the soil at night & up into the branches, chowing down, then going back into the soil before you see them.

If you get a product called Tanglefoot, you can paint this all around the bottom of the trunk & it will keep the leaf-chompers from reaching the leaves. (The instructions suggest an elaborate method of wrapping the bottom of the trunk then putting Tanglefoot on the wrapping, but the old method was just to apply it directly to the trunk & I don't think the wrapping "kit" to be bought separately is at all needed). If you can identify the specific insect, you can obtain the precise type of nematode to introduce into the soil, & over time the nematodes will take care of any insect problem, but the immediate protection is Tanglefoot.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

What kind of tree? Where is it planted? What kind of weather have you been having? What season is it? See any insects? or their frass?

Reply to
bamboo

--What kind of tree? Not sure, I live in the midwest.

Where is it planted? In the front year.

What kind of weather have you been having? It's starting spring, this is first time it got leaves this year.

What season is it? Early spring.

See any insects? or their frass? No insects, with the amount of holes I see, I would think I could at least see some sort of trail. I just spray some Fungucide today to see if it will help.

Reply to
saidev

Fungicide will be of no use it does not cure it prevents. You would need to apply it before it began. (assuming a fungal disease) Find out what kind of tree, not all are universally tolerant of sprays. For all of your description it could have been a hailstorm.

Reply to
bamboo

this poster is suspiciously troll like, but.......it is way too early in the midwest for any kind of fungal diseases that would cause this problem. It is probably one of the upright japanese cherries that is full of eastern tent caterpilliar. It should be noted that arbitrarily spraying things without knowing what the problem is will not be helpful, and certainly will not cause the holes in the leaves to suddenly fill in.

toad

Reply to
Marley1372