Building regs and my man cave

Anybody know their way around them? I'm not convinced the council do :(
The latest thing when he came over for what we thought would be signoff is:
- Must have fireproof p'board on the inside of the garage. - Must have interlinked smoke detectors in every room. - Must have a fireproof door with intumescent seals between the garage and the workshop
The rooms are: - Reserved for oil tank (yes, this _does_ have a fireproof p'board lining) opening only to the outside - Garage (part unlined, part ply, part fireproof where it is against the tank room) - Workshop, with internal door to garage - Study. Well insulated, with door to outside only.
It's all detached from the (thatched) house.
Andy
On 16/12/2018 17:44, Vir Campestris wrote:

If it helps, you don't have to use the Council's inspector. You can choose, and employ, one of your choice.

not if you live in scotland ....

Don't know, but if you were in Wales you'd probably need a sprinkler system too!
--

Roger Hayter

The problem is EVERYBODY has their own idea what satisfies Building Standards and every Building Standards department has their own usually wrong interpretation of the requirements.....The 1980 Scottish building regulations were the only nice and simple prescriptive regulations that ever made any sense.... but these days are gone for ever....I blamed Europe.....
No its jobsworths, nothing to do with EU, its the way people like to be little Gods and be different in some way. If its detached from the house what is the issue. If they are worried about Thatching I'm sure they would like nothing better than to make Thatching illegal as a fire risk. Some common sense is missing. How far away from the house is this building? Brian
--
----- --
I had a 40m2 timber garage erected last year and because it was over 30m2 r equired building regs approval. I made it clear to initially the LBC and ev entually the private inspector I employed that the plan was to divide off t he back half into a mancave/hobby room but not a habitable room. The only t hings either were concerned about was an adequate base was provided the str ucture in particular the roof supports were adequate and due to the size of the roof area that adequate drainage was provided.