Building a dam...

A friend has a problem with rain water running down her drive and under her garage door. There is a drain that runs the full width of the door but th
at leads to a soakaway which is overwhelmed by heavy showers.
She has no intentions of ever putting a car in her garage and it seems to m e that a simple solution would be to make a 2" high dam inside the garage t o prevent water ingress.
The existing garage floor is concrete. What would be the easiest way to ma ke such a dam (cheap would be good too) that I could be reasonably sure wou ld bond to the garage floor well enough not to let water seep through? Plu s points for ease of future removal if necessary.
Tim
On 10/01/2020 15:21, Tim+ wrote:

Probably depends on how robust it needs to be but a length of 3x2 glued down with Gripfill or similar would probably do it. Then a bit more Gripfill to fill around the edges.

Thanks for the suggestion. I suspect she’ll go for the Screwfix threshold strip option though.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Fine until it freezes.
Brian
--
----- --
Tim+ wrote:

I had a little water occasionally blowing under my garage door. I happened to have a length of arris rail handy, which I screwed to the concrete, first squirting some no nails onto the bottom surface.
So far I have had about 30 years' successful operation.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
On 10/01/2020 15:21, Tim+ wrote:

If she intends ever to sell the house, it may be better to go for something less Heath Robinson. There are loads of purpose-made garage door seals around, eg this one for £33.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/stormguard-garage-threshold-seal-black-2-5m/37019

That does look like it would do the job. Thanks!
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Tim+ wrote:

Please don't post any more screwfix pages it greys out with an exhortation to accept cookies, it is like their hide.
On 10/01/2020 15:21, Tim+ wrote:

A whole range of solutions here:
https://www.jaseals.co.uk/garage-door-seals
I used a rubber blade seal on my door and that works well.
--
Colin Bignell

It is not going to work, Water will get through. I'd think the best bet is to bite the bullet and extend the drain so it has some way to drain, rather than to back up and flood.
Brian
--
----- --
On Friday, 10 January 2020 15:21:51 UTC, Tim+ wrote:

er garage door. There is a drain that runs the full width of the door but that leads to a soakaway which is overwhelmed by heavy showers.

me that a simple solution would be to make a 2" high dam inside the garage to prevent water ingress.

make such a dam (cheap would be good too) that I could be reasonably sure w ould bond to the garage floor well enough not to let water seep through? P lus points for ease of future removal if necessary.

Tell her to get her beaver out ;-)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/08/dam-it-how-beavers-save -britain-from-flooding

Reminds me of... https://images.app.goo.gl/FRTNKy43q6uY1QsSA
Tim