duspial of NiMh batterries

Thijking I might actuall get to fly some RC plamnes this year I dug out my kit and whilst all but one of the LIPOS seems to have lasted 5 years without a charge the same cannot be said for thle transmitter batteries

- all 9,6v Nimh. Every one of them is more or less dead and not holding charge.

I've spend a bloody fortune on new ones - I have 5 transmitters - but what does one do with all the old ones?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher

check 'em in the old batteries bin at sainsbury's?

Reply to
Andy Burns

"Batteries should be recycled at your local collection point; these are located at supermarkets, DIY stores and your local recycling centre"

Theo

Yes, I get rid of old NiMh batteries that don't hold a charge either at the tip or local supermarket.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My authority offers to recycle them if you put them into a bag on a certain bin collection day. Might be worth asking your authority as there must be a lot of batteries about. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Great. I've blast charged em instead of trickle and most seem to have something left, but I've ordered much higher capacity (600mAh=>2400mAH, worst case)

Hope that waitrose have such a place.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My local one does, near the customer service desk.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

The Cambridge (Trumpington) one does - just outside the doors on the roundabout side.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

All battery retailers are supposed to make provision for taking old ones for recycling. I've never asked at the local Spar but I've found that both Tesco and Wilkos do. Tesco's is near the customer service counter, wanted emptying the last time I used it, and Wilko's is a cardboard box under the battery rack.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Almost anywhere that sells batteries must take them back:

Battery waste: retailer and distributor responsibilities

You must offer free collection (?takeback?) of waste or used batteries if you sell or supply 32kg or more of portable batteries per year.

One pack of 4 AA batteries per day equals about 32kg per year.

You must have a collection point at all premises from where you supply batteries. This applies if you run a shop, a chain of shops or sell batteries online, by mail order or telephone. Batteries you must take back

You must take back any type of sealed battery that can be carried without difficulty by an average person.

This includes (but is not limited to) AA, AAA and 9v batteries, rechargeable batteries and batteries from:

mobile phones laptops hearing aids watches portable cameras torches electric toothbrushes razors hand-held vacuum cleaners

You do not need to take back car and motorbike batteries or batteries from industrial equipment. The collection point

You must have a collection point in your place of business.

It should be suitable for the safe storage of all kinds of portable batteries, not just the types you sell.

You must let people know that you collect used batteries, for example by displaying posters in your premises or publishing it on your website.

You can download posters at the RecycleNow Partners website.

You?ll need to register but there?s no fee.

Wish they'd have the same requirement for paint pots.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Our Aldi does. On the end of the packing bench.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Touching them on a car battery for a second or so zaps the whiskers away, how safe it is I'm not so sure. Often needs to be done several times & they do rewhisker.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Bob Eager presented the following explanation :

Same here, at both Aldi and Lidl..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I have bent, distorted, smelly sometimes sparking and smokin' Lithium batteries, that I've gingerly removed from gadgets.

Now, which retailer don't I like....

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I tend to to dispose of our batteries at the local recycling centre which has a number of 100L bins usually full of old batteries and it has always crossed my mind that one partially discharged battery could easily cause a fire. I think all rechargeables have the potential to burn, I seem to remember a number of people getting burned putting NiCads in a pocket along with keys only to find them shorting out. A friend of mine into electric RC model aircraft once related a story to me of a club member who placed an aircraft with an undischarged LiPo battery into his car boot only to find a few moments later his car on fire!

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Yes. That's why I made myself a little discharging framework here and all "dead" batteries spend a day or so in it. 1.5 batts have a 3? and

9V a 100? to discharge through. Button cells too.
Reply to
Tim Streater

I'd have thought if a small rechargeable cell was capable of enough current to cause a fire, it would be suitable for further use?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not as much fun as a ducted fan model going up in smoke and looking very realistic for a few seconds

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher