Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

It is when pretty much every new car has a large screen on the dashboard, usually well out of the driver's central view, using which various control functions must be carried out and satellite navigation followed. This is apparently legal.

A two-inch screen half-hidden behind the mirror and showing a subset of the view through the windscreen can hardly be considered a distraction in that context. Certainly less so than the rear-view mirror itself, at which the driver is *supposed* to look from time to time, taking his/her eyes off the road ahead to do so.

Reply to
Joe

And don't most dashcam screens blank after a few seconds after start-up or last button press, just to meet the requirement for them not to distract the driver. I've had two different ones, and both of them do/did.

nib

Reply to
nibble

snip

My three-year old or so Nextbase does not do that. It might be programmable, but I have not noticed it.

Reply to
Davey

Mine is under the sun visor on the driver side. However, as it's in the area swept by the wiper, I have to remove it before the MOT takes place or it's an immediate fail.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

So it is an offence then?

Reply to
wasbit

It certainly used to be an offence to have a TV scren within view of the driver, but I imagine the wording has been changed.

Reply to
charles

Even with Satnav I believe its illegal to change settings whilst driving.

It may be illegal to position a satnav/dash cam on the screen where it can obstruct the drivers view of the road.

Reply to
alan_m

I've see a few cars (driving along at the time) with the sat nav/phone stuck to the windscreen directly in front of the driver.

Reply to
AlanC