Browsers OT

Still running XP and explorer 8? I am starting to get messages about

*chrome frame plug in* soon to be unsupported. Please uninstall and upgrade to a modern browser!

I am happy with XP as my E-mail software likes it. (Turnpike)

Does Firefox overcome the problem as I don't want to sell my soul to Google.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes, firefox will run fine on XP (you might not get hardware accelerated video layers, but I don't expect that's the end of the world).

If you're running Chrome Frame, haven't you done so already?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Firefox is superb. Also with it I no longer seem to get afflicted by malware from dodgy web sites as it has built in protection to stop you accessing them. It used to be a fairly regular thing, like every few months, tracking down the latest nasty and on occasion even having to reload the operating system from scratch. Haven't had a virus or trojan for 18 months now. Yes I could also run anti-virus software but they always slowed down this old pc too much.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Which kind of suggests that you are already using the plugin version of Chrome anyway...

(its being discontinued in Jan 2014)

Bit late for that by the sounds of it.

However FF works, and renders standards compliant stuff much better than old versions of IE.

Reply to
John Rumm

I recently had to switch from an IE derivative, to FF due to all of the complaints. FF seems to fix all of the issues I was suffering and works fine on XP.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Firefox works fine with XP. I've no idea "chrome frame plugin" is - but the fact that it's unsupported doesn't *necessarily* mean that it will stop working - but it might!

Can you not run a later version of IE on XP? I've not tried it, so I don't know for sure.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Trouble with stuff that becomes "unsupported" is that it it still works for a while but ends up being full of bugs (as internet technology marches on) and security holes that aren't plugged. Which means that it gets targetted by "hackers". Especially on an unsupported OS like XP.

"Chrome frame plugin" is just a plugin for a browser to make it act (faster) like Chrome but not actually *be* Chrome. If you've been using it for any length of time you've already "sold your soul" so you might as well just install the full version of Chrome. It's a billion times faster than IE.

It's worth considering upgrading from XP, there's no reason why Thunderbird wouldn't work with Vista or Windows 7.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

No, you can't. IE9 or 10 won't run on XP at all.

Reply to
Adrian

Especially-especially on an unsupported, insecure-by-design and extremely widespread OS like XP...

Reply to
Adrian

To add: Although I've always been loathe to ever bother upgrading to a later version of Windows unless strictly necessary, I've moved a couple of laptops from XP to Win7 and a) not had any driver problems & b) I reckon Win 7 is actually a bit quicker (well, less bogged down, shall we say.) And I can't abide newer versions of Thunderbird so I'm still running v2.something.

Reply to
Scott M

Umm.. I have Google chrome installed. It is not the default browser. I last got the message from the gov.uk vehicle licensing site and connected using explorer.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Mentalguy2k8 writes

I have it! Just not joined the club:-)

I think Turnpike is OK on Vista but not on 64 bit stuff. There are workarounds but I am a bear of small brain:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I find XP and SeaMonkey work well together. SeaMonkey is the modern version of netscape for thise that remember and liked that as I did. There is a good support community if you need it - rarely in my case and it just works. It also has integrated mail and news if you want to go that far.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Chrome frame is a plugin that allows the chrome rendering engine to take over the rendering of pages inside IE. So its like running the soul of chrome with the personality of IE.

Reply to
John Rumm

Unfortunately not all of the major, and some of the minor websites are not standards compliant - I suspect that they use shortcuts specific to IE for speed. Having been involved in computing/IT since the Commodore Pet, I know that this is not a new problem. e.g a website which I use regularly will automatically re-size to my screen resolution in IE but not in FF.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Tim Lamb :

FWIW Turnpike runs just fine on Win7 Pro 32-bit.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

No you are stuck with the old IE offering and over say the past couple of years, I have had more and more issues with web sites complaining that the the version of IE is no longer supported.

One such example is my own website at

In IE the map is blank, in FF it shoes up as it should. Out of curiosity, I have just tried Chrome's plugin for IE, but it made no difference, it still shows the map as a blank.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In article , Tim Lamb scribeth thus

Generally OK on Win 7 never bothered with 8 but only 32 bit 'tho I believe you can run a VM on 64 bit as a 32 and that with run TP as well...

Reply to
tony sayer

Harry Bloomfield :

I can see the map fine in IE10. I tried all the alternative browser modes (10 compatibility, 9, 8, and 7) and they worked fine as well.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I use Pale Moon version of FF - it has had all the crap removed and doesn't take the default route of silent updates (if FF has got to that stage yet - I know that it was mentioned some time ago).

PeterC