Brick crushing

Due to starting my extension and knocking down an old garage, I have a large pile of old bricks.

Whilst the usual thing is to bung it in a skip and wave goodbye to it

- I actually have a need for crushed up hardcore in the next few months. So I was wondering whether it is possible to rent a brick / hardcore crushing machine to, break it down in to a smaller consistency.

I've done a search for a brick crusher to rent but it doesn't seem to exist - so am I destined for a month of hard labour smashing it down with a sledge hammer?!

Reply to
Quigs

Sir

In my experience these crusher machines are big. Crushed bricks are cheep, the last 20 tonne I got was 141 inc vat, and deleivery (35 miles or so each way).

You may be able to do a deal with the delivery people, they bring a skip of crushed, and take a skip full of whole bricks away again.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

There are a couple of guys on Uk Selfbuid who have done this, demolishing an existing house, crushing all brick and using that for hardcore for new build ... sorry I don't know the cost. They are avail for rent that is 100% for sure.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

You'll be needing it in a few months? I would get a few rubble bags and a sledge hammer. Put 6 - 10 bricks in a bag and the give yourself a 20 minute work out each day.

You'll look like Van Dimm in 3 months! :)

ar

Reply to
Arthur

Reply to
Quigs

Roadrunner Waste - North Wales Offerten Sand and Gravel - South Manchester

I looked in the Yell under "skip hire"

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

================== If you can stand the noise (and you've got plenty of time) get a cement mixer and let your bricks churn themselves to bits - a few at a time. You'll find it easier than the 20 minute daily workout suggested by another 'poster'. Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

One would think it not difficult to produce a portable brick breaker that you drop the bricks into 2 at a time. 1kw motor, hefty gear, 2 ribbed cylinders. Add a big hopper on top so you can throw a barrow load in at a time.

And as pointed out, breaking bricks saves money and resources. So why no machines?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Here are a couple:-

Neil Jones

Try looking for a portable gyrayory crusher, or a portable jaw crusher. FYI there are different values of "portable".

Doesn't take too long, use a smaller hammer and a small pile of bits as an "anvil".

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

machine you can carry in one hand. Couldnt get to the 1st link though. Sounds to me like this may be a useful machine.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I didn't how 'portable' you wanted your portable machine :-)

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

Lol - dont think I've ever been big enough to lift that much!

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

That's a jolly good idea!

er - what's Van Dimm?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sorry. My spelling! Tchch!

van Dimm.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

The one that chrushed the large pile of bricks next to our factory came on a low loader !

Dave

Reply to
dave

I still don't know ... :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh dear. The muscles from Brussels? The man with the six-pack and a black belt?

type actor. More likely that China would chicken out of a declaration of war by the Isle of Man than he to be involved in any remake of Pride & Prejudice.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur