Brake fluid in power steering?

Rubbish. It depends how its built. You can have very slippy fluid couplings and you can have ones that feel like there's a solid connection.

Nuff said.

Not yet, but go back to 1819 and try to fill up a petrol or diesel car. Coal from the local railway wouldn't do you much good.

Reply to
blt_boOe4yx8

I guess Rover made theirs shit. My VW, Honda, and Range Rover could often change gear with the only way I could tell being the rev counter and the engine pitch. I was physically not jerked at all.

So you're one of those retards with the slow brains that grind the country to a halt. Just get out of my way.

I'll get an electric car when it will travel as far as a petrol car, costs me no more to run, and will fill up as fast.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey
[snip]

I got about 370 miles between fillups once (nearly all of that was highway driving). Usually, I don't let it get that low.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Prick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

My target is 400. I get that in summer.

In winter its sometimes as low as 360 - cold starts use a lot of fuel

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A two element fluid coupling is not a torque converter.

Reply to
rbowman

If A is a subset of B then its a given that not all of B will be in A. Fairly simply set theory.

Besides, torque converter is a misnomer since thats just a side effect. What it really is a fluid clutch.

Reply to
blt_ojy

Perhaps Brits have a different vocabulary...

Reply to
rbowman

Yes Miss Daisy.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In the future I daresay you will not be given the choice.

Reply to
Xeno

I very much doubt that. GM Hydramatics used fluid couplings for a very long time from 1939 when they were first introduced. English vehicles such as Daimler used fluid couplings from 1930.

Dual clutch systems are by no means *common*.

Reply to
Xeno

So how would you describe a torque converter if not a fluid coupling?

They are in europe.

Reply to
blt_srl0O

You stated above that *Autos have always had torque converters*. A fluid coupling without a stator cannot multiply torque so it cannot be considered a torque converter in any way shape or form. On the other hand, all torque converters are, first and foremost, a fluid coupling. They just have an added component, the stator, and that is from whence the torque multiplication is derived.

I gave you two examples of vehicles with fluid couplings that were *not* torque converters. I could give you more, especially in the truck and bus field, usually coupled with pre-select gearboxes. The bottom line, not every fluid coupling is a torque converter and not every auto is fitted with torque converters. So your statement, that I quoted above, is based on a false premise.

Hmm, I don't reside in Europe. Nor do a great proportion of the world's people I gather.

The VW group love them. I don't. I much prefer wet clutches, dual or single, as they can be adequately cooled. The greatest bugbear of dual plate dry clutches is *cooling*. The worst situation is in traffic inching situations.

Reply to
Xeno

From 80 years ago.

Fine, 99.9% of automatic gearboxes have been torque converter based. Happy? Some ICE cars had rotary engines but the vast majority have pistons.

In case you hadn't noticed this group is "UK.rec.driving". Have a guess what the UK part means.

They're not great for towing either apparently. Presumably they overheat on the pull away.

Reply to
blt_1Aryeyd

Only if oil runs out, which will make life far more interesting in very aspect.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In the future I expect technology to have improved to make them at least as good as petrol cars. They just need to make the batteries cheaper and last longer - and battery technology is one of the things that's advancing very quickly at the moment.

However what people fail to realise is they're not cheaper to run at all. The reason electricity costs far less than petrol is the government taxes petrol like crazy. When everyone has an electric car, they'll find a way to steal the money from us again.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Aren't you people trying not to reside in Europe?

Reply to
rbowman

Have a guess what more than one newsgroup in the send list means. I'll give you a hint - crossposting.

Reply to
Xeno

If you don't know the difference between the EU and Europe then perhaps don't post on that topic.

Reply to
blt_k1sq0

I post to uk.rec.driving. If others add spurious crossposts thats not my problem.

Reply to
blt_m00n41wy