Box to house a phome wire junction.

SWMBO doesn't like the look of the white phone cable that goes down our wall to the old BT (now taken over by Virgin Phone wiring) box.

I would like to replace it with black or brown wiring but I will need to connect the white to the new cable under the overhanging porch facia. I have some of those gel filled connectors - but what sort of enclosure should I use and can I use a two core for this part of the run? I cannot readily intercept the wire inside the house.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The easiest way would be to paint the wire to match the wall/woodwork...

Is this inside or outside the master socket?

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian wrote in news:l5qqnd$4a5$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

wall/woodwork...

It is the wire that goes to the Master Socket.Not only do I want to replace it - I want to slighty re-route it.I may even bypass the old grey BT box and run it to the brown Virgin Box.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Slide a piece of paper behind to protect the wall. If you have any old gloss top coat, that's ideal on PVC (no undercoat).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have - ahem - done this using nothing more than a standard 4 way (lighting etc) junction box to hook a CAT 5 dropwire into the existing BT circuit. The BT Openreach man tutted and put in a 'proper BT One' but it worked. My experience is round here they don't care - you can extend the wiring as much as you like. Just don't blame then if you get it wrong.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have Virgin taken over the old line, or have they installed a new one, and then wired this into your internal wiring?

If the latter, then this two core wire may not be needed at all, as it may be the old drop wire from the back of the master socket, to the BT network, and may have been disconnected in the socket anyway?

Do you have a virgin master socket somewhere else as well?

Reply to
Toby

You require a Block Terminal 66 (BT66) external junction box to house your jelly crimps and should use 2-pair (4 wire) exterior telephone cable to leave a spare pair in case one goes faulty.

eg

(No connection with the seller.)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Paint the wire. Put a bit of thin card behind it and use an aerosol. I've done lots like that for people who want their aerial or dish cables making look less horrible. Choose a dry still day. If necessary unclip the cable from the wall and spray it whilst loose, then refix it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Bill Wright wrote in news:l5reu0$s7a$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org: