Bottom posting

snipped

So all agrreed then, bottom posting with voracious snipping.

( can o' worms comes to mind with this thread, usually we are all so civilised)

True - but...

In OS terms it *is* a directory. Within unix filesystems, a directory is merely a structured file containing the names and inode-numbers of the file's data + header section. The inode is a structure which further defines which logical blocks on the disk random bits of the file are stored. So to open a file, the OS consults the directory-file to find out where the actual file lives.

Most other systems (including FAT) work in a similar way. (Let's not get into Plan9 - I don't know how that works, but it's probably significantly weird).

So there is a good historic reason why the name came to be, long before Bill Gates was out of his nappy :-/

Cheers

Timbo

Reply to
Tim

A directory is a thing you look in to find out the address or number of something. A directory is merely part of a filing system structure, and it's what the filing system consults to find out where a file is.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Errm, pardon? New? Mozilla wasn't the first Newsreader, but it was the first web browser that also handled 'news' and appeared long before Bill G 'discovered' the Internet let alone begat IE and OE.

(Netscape 1.0 aka 'Mozilla' had a nice newsreader built in that handled threads nicely and the executable easily fit on a floppy).

I've become totally underwhelmed by GUI newsreaders and have gone back to slrn ('rn' would be a bit too austere!)

OK, just winding you up - I do know _which_ 'Mozilla' you mean.

Reply to
Jan Wysocki

In message , Peter writes

AD *is* an implementation of LDAP, along with Kerberos and a few MS 'personalisations' to avoid compatibility.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
Capitol

Get even more worried, all cross channel ferries navigation systems AIUI use MS Windows as the OS!!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

In message , Capitol writes

Worried about that?

I'm more worried about the UK nuclear submarine fleet having Win2k as it's operating system

"new hardware found, please insert your installation CD with the CORRECT serial number, to install your WMD)!"

Reply to
raden

I have seen a Natwest Cash M/C (Oxford Road, Manchester) with the windows desktop and start bar. Unfortunately none of the buttons interacted with the desktop and there wasn't a "dispense £20" icon :-(

One thing that struck me was that the ATM had a full colour screen, but at the time they all used poxi green graphics on a black background.

Reply to
Peter

And probably before Ken Thompson was out of his diaper!

Reply to
Bob Eager

But if you have a lot of documentation the filling cabinet / draw it's self might well become, in effect, a folder within a large much larger directory (filing system) IYSWIM. So, yes, you can get folders within 'folders', it's just that they don't look like folders - more like draws or complete cabinets etc.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Sounds useful, but then I may get to see the gist of The Andy/IMM threads..... Does make you wonder about the time the world spends scrolling quotes, and the resources that are wasted.

Reply to
stuart noble

So you agree the metaphor doesn't work. ;^>

Reply to
Rob Morley

They nicked that bit from Apple because people said it was what they wanted.

Reply to
G&M

They might well have done, but Gates and Co. made it affordable, something Apple could have done and could still do but for some reason they seem unable to do...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Because they prefer the low volume high profit margin business. Generally Apple users are switched on technically and know how to turn a computer on and use it so support costs are much lower.

Reply to
G&M

I suspect it was more a case of ripping off big business to start with and now having to keep prices artificially high so that it appears that Apple have something that MS or Linux based boxes doesn't. The same is starting to happened in the high end software sector, many software companies are having to tread very carefully not to alienate their existing customers when they release software to compete with cheaper products that do the same job for less - talk about a catch 22, keep your exciting customer base and slowly die or compete with the market and show your loyal customers just how much they have been ripped off over the years !..

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It all fits on my screen. Just.

Reply to