Bosch dishwasher goes bang and smokes, but which model is it?

Our three or four year old Bosch dishwasher just went bang, with some smoke from behind the control panel.

I'd like to find a repair manual but can't find the model number.

It's a Bosch Exxcel, and there's the number 5600041012/04/184/21 00 next to where the power cable goes in, the installation instructions have a variety of numbers "046 788" "GV 630 S-81" "56 600 046 788 (8401)".

Anyone know which is the model number? or where it might be located on the machine?

Any recommendations for an on-line source of manuals, for once I've got the model number?

MTIA.

Reply to
bof

Top edge of the front door, stamped into the stainless steel.

Not sure, but they're pretty generic. There is a Haynes manual available.

Parts (and exploded diagrams, although you may have a full size 3D version of that :-) ):

Bob Eager

Ta, easy when you know where to look.

Reply to
bof

My Bosch Exxcel just packed in. Fortunately I had one month of an extended warranty left. Upon calling the call center they wanted serial numbers etc and they are etched into the top lip of the door. I had to wipe the area away to see clearly. For your info if its the programme module that has gone it cost £74.00 to replace for the part from Bosch and took him 15 mins and some minor reprogramming as it was a module that fits several machines.

Reply to
Andrew Simpson

In article , bof writes

A common problem on all dishwashers is the wiring loom fracturing at the bottom of the door where it passes into the machine body and where it is subject to stress from opening/closing the door. Have a look there first before spending money, and make sure the machine's unplugged first!

Bosch don't seem to be particularly reliable dishwashers. I get a lot of anecdotal stories about failed drain pumps on various models.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Mike Tomlinson wibbled on Tuesday 24 November 2009 11:14

Bosch have rather made a rod for their own back.

Logixx machines are made in Germany by Bosch.

Classix and Excell are made somewhere else (Spain last time I noticed).

I've not had many problems with Logixx machines:

Dishwasher needed a new water valve (coil failed) in warrenty - that of course was free and painless. Slight design error in the hole arrangements in the spray arms - I needed to drill another couple of holes to provide more lateral thrust otherwise the arms were sticking when the bearing (such as it is) got a bit cruddy. Needed a new filter mesh at the bottom after 5 years.

Condensor-dryer is always breaking the little tab taht prevents you dropping and losing the cap on the water tank. I bought 5 spares (very cheap) last time I needed Bosch parts.

Not as good as Miele, but not as expensive. The tumble dryer is now about >

10 years old and works perfectly and the dishwasher is > 6 years old and works fine.

For the price bracket, I'm happy enough - though next time I would buy Miele if I have the dosh. But I would expect to see another 6 years out of the dishwasher and probably more from the tumble dryer.

Reply to
Tim W

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

It was the control module that had gone bang, and one of the loom connectors broke when I was taking it out, total parts, VAT and P&P was around £140, assuming there wasn't an underlying fault that had made the control module go bang, so in the end I bought a new one, which was delivered damaged, so now that's got to be replaced.

Reply to
bof