Booting (or not) a 386

As supplied it was "off". Luckily the spec sheet detailed that it needed an up/down pulse on a pin to switch it on.

having removed the dud RTC, I discovered the PC wouldn't boot without it in place ...

This was a PC with an EISA bus (whatever happened to ?)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In message , Chris Green writes

OK, I'm missing the obvious. The case is off, and I am looking for a silver button battery, probably about the six of a sixpence. Could it be entirely different?

Reply to
Graeme

Size of a 10p piece more likely. Look for something shiny and round.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Back in the days of 8086/286/386, I do remember a few desktop PCs that used rechargeable batteries, soldered in. I never kept any long enough to need to replace it though.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

NiCds often last that long, I'd try it first & see. Give it 12hrs on to charge & see if it holds settings.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Look for a NiCd, typ 3.6v