Bonding HDPE

I need to bond HDPE to Galvanized steel. It?s a boat trailer so needs to be waterproof .... but this is not load bearing, so no high shear strength required.

The Galv is not fresh, which can be problematic to do anything with. I am aware that there is a need to apply heat to HDPE prior to any bonding to de-wet the slippery finish.

ideally something like a silicone or rubber ?flexible? adhesive would be best.

I have 3M 5200 which bonds most things marine but don?t think it works with MDPE.

Suggestions?

Reply to
Osprey

Scotchweld? a low surface energy primer followed by a rubberised superglue? a low surface energy version of double sided VHB tape?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I did a successful and waterproof repair to a cracked wheelbarrow (probably HDPE) with a couple of perforated galvanized strips pop riveted on the back to prevent the cracks moving, then covering the top side with flashband used with flashband primer. You can't really glue "edges" of PE sheet, you need to make use of the area. If it is just sealing with no significant load, is the geometry suitable for Sylglas / Denso tape type material? Or "external" mastic as used for gutter repairs, door frame to brick joints, etc.

Reply to
newshound

I don't want to rivet or screw to the metal dues to corrosion issues. Can't have any metal in front on the HDPE .. this is being fixed to provide a buffer pad from the metal.

Reply to
rick

Problem is what ? ..... StochWeld is a group brand of a load of differ net adhesives.

So far only product that states it will bond HDPE is: "Mr Sticky's Poly-Bonder" a 2 part epoxy based adhesive ..... but its not cheap, or easy to get in UK

Reply to
rick

DP8005

or 3M VHB tape LSE family (differences are just thickness/width)

Nothing that glues low surface energy plastics is cheap.

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1

Although I was pleased that my repair has proved structurally very sound over ten years or so. As described in other post, cracked polyethylene pop riveted to perforated galvanised strip at the back for structural strength, flashband (used with its primer) over the damaged area on the wet side. No sign of delamination.

Reply to
newshound